Sad (?) News

Important website and forum updates and information, please read!
Neil
Administrator

Sad (?) News

Post by Neil » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:10 pm

Hi, as you'll notice from the post below, this website and forum have been going for around 6 years, however for several months it has been, at best, quiet. With a monthly hosting cost of £15, plus my time and other expenses, I am currently in the difficult position of trying to justify the money especially since the proliferation of ad-blockers has basically killed the usually helpful advertising income.

I'm not, specifically, asking for financial help running the site (although not going to turn away donations!), I'm more interested in whether the forum is quiet because all the info is there, or if it's because all the traffic is from bots (basically search engine AI) rather than real people.

I would rather avoid forced and intrusive ad's as I don't feel that will do anything other than annoy and discourage people, but equally the expenses soon add up on top of the hosting costs.

Please reply with supportive comments, suggestions, or even just "yeah, I'm reading it and enjoy it", otherwise we may as well disband and interested parties can keep in touch separately.

PS. Don't suggest Facebook because other than being the worst idea since the Amstrad E-Mailer, I refuse to sign up to a known source of viruses, ID theft, and abuse.
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

Julie
Photo Competition

Re: Sad (?) News

Post by Julie » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:35 pm

Hi Neil

I still come on here on a nearly daily basis just to see what's going on and if there's anyone in need of help. On a personal level though, I found this site invaluable when I first got serious about my guys but I just don't need that level of support anymore. It is possible that there is so much history on here that people can find all they need without needing to post. It will be interesting to see who replies to you ~trttle
Julie - "mother" of

0.1.0 Eastern? River Cooter - Max
0.1.0 Map - Eleanor Digby

And Photo Competition Controller (although not a very good one) - photo.competition@terrapin-info.co.uk

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:51 pm

Well, you might have noticed around 48 hours of downtime for the forum (around 24 for the main site) which has been due to transferring to a new website package. Same provider, but turns out when I called them that I was on a very old (well, 6 years old I'd imagine!) package which is part of the reason it was quite expensive. I have 12 months of discount, but even after that I will be saving £10 a month which is of course quite some saving, so for the next 24 months plus at least all shall continue to be turtle-y ~thmbu
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

richardb

Post by richardb » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:54 pm

When I started to join the forums this was the best one with the most useful information and helpful members and I used to visit several times a day. Then new posts stopped appearing and it seemed to just go really quiet. It seems that Facebook has had the same affect on all the forums as now when you look it just seems to be just one or two regulars posting.

Theresa

Post by Theresa » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:19 am

I have a Facebook account and to be honest was my first port of call for information and help but I haven't been able to find any useful pages on there about Terrapins. Maybe I'm just not searching correctly. I live in Tenerife and volunteer for an animal charity here. I have acquired a yellow bellied slider that was found abandoned and dehydrated in scrub land. After 2 days in the vets its now come to me to care for but I really don't seem to have a clue and I really want to do my best for it hence joining your great Forum. I've not had a chance to look around the threads yet but I'm hoping to find some information so I can look after it properly. ~trttle

Julie
Photo Competition

Post by Julie » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:14 pm

Oh FFS. I deleted this from my favourites list as I obviously last came on during your 48hr downtime. This evening I've been searching the internet, just because I can, and my husband is watching boring stuff, and this bloody site pops up. I'm glad you're back and my browsing can continue. I missed you , even though you were here along.
Julie - "mother" of

0.1.0 Eastern? River Cooter - Max
0.1.0 Map - Eleanor Digby

And Photo Competition Controller (although not a very good one) - photo.competition@terrapin-info.co.uk

Neilos

Post by Neilos » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:18 am

I am just after reading this post (as a non Bot).I was thinking how interaction on posts was limited, now I understand. I am hoping the information I can learn from this forum will ensure the survival of George and Mildred through the winter. I hope it continues with or without ads.

cupragsw

Post by cupragsw » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:32 pm

This website has been so helpful in the past and I was always on it seeing peoples new terrapins and set ups but they have slowly stopped going up and so I slowly lost interest. Jus randomly visit a couple of times a year.

Maybe starting a Facebook page that links to the forum or just a facebook group and most people use this now a days :)