Hello!

Come and introduce yourself!
Elliejo3213

Hello!

Post by Elliejo3213 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:59 pm

Hello, I seemed to have acquired 2 musk turtles (I think). Have been doing some reading on them, and I think I might need some advice !

They were found straying in a local park, so I took them home incase anyone reported them missing. But no one has reported them, so it looks like they'll be staying with me.

I've got them currently in temporary digs, but I just happened to have set up a 5ft aquarium and couldn't decide what to do with it (cold water goldfish vs tropical), then these guys came along and seems like perfect timing.

I think I just need some advice about water depth, basking areas ( i keep bearded dragons so have a few uvb bulbs hanging around), what uvb light they need and maybe a hand to help decide what to do with my spray bar on the filter.

Thanks in advance!
Ellie

Neil
Administrator

Re: Hello!

Post by Neil » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:32 pm

Hello and welcome to the site and forum :)

Apologies for the delay replying and well done on the rescue, have you read the CARE SHEET for musks? Pics should confirm species and perhaps gender too :)

UVB wise I'd go for 5% 26W or 10% 13W as maximums, but depends what you have available and the distance you can have it as although musks don't bask as much as some species. Spray bar across the one end (ie. front of tank to back) will help reduce flow as musks aren't the best swimmers, but also help keep the tank cleaner.
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

PluckyDuck

Re: Hello!

Post by PluckyDuck » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:55 am

Hi there! A very interesting discussion!
Join me here! Interesting news every day!