My terrapin has lost his appetite

Come and introduce yourself!
Shackles2001

My terrapin has lost his appetite

Post by Shackles2001 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:59 pm

My three year old terrapin has lost his appetite in the last few days. Before this he had a great appetite.ive only had him for about four months so im wondering is it a thing where his appetite decreases in the winter time. Any advice I would be really greatful

Neil
Administrator

Re: My terrapin has lost his appetite

Post by Neil » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:57 pm

Hi...

This is a bit of an odd one, evidence does suggest that some hibernating animals will ignore temperature changes (or lack thereof) in lieu of changing light patterns as a precursor to winter so can start to slow down, sleep more, and eat less for a while before sort of realising that winter isn't coming after all and waking back up again. Double check your water and basking area temps though, especially if you've not had your heating on yet as you might find that it is cooler than you might expect. Obviously being warm blooded we humans don't tend to notice a couple of degrees drop in ambient temperatures unless there's a wind chill to go with it, but your terrapins will notice.

Keep offering food once a fortnight and try to have some aquatic plants available for grazing, and I'm sure all will be well :)
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta