Introducing myself

Come and introduce yourself!
Lazlo

Introducing myself

Post by Lazlo » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:03 pm

Hi all names Dave have just acquired 3 yellow belly Terrapins.They came over in a 3ft tank and a few bits of slate looking a bit sorry for them selves .Have installed a uva/uvb tube and that perked them up no end, The color has come back to them.Waiting on a floating dock to arrive to give them a decent basking area and a bit more swimming space not ideal but a temporary solution they deserve better .Any how the reason i have joined the forums is my project terrapin/or slider as they say in the states ,have measured up a 5ft (1.5M) x 4ft (1.22M) area in the front room to build a pool and basking area and will be looking for advice on filters planting lighting etc.So in advance i will thank everyone for their input and hopefully can pass that info on in the future and p.s they are right little characters.Looking forward to many years of watching their antics.

Neil
Administrator

Re: Introducing myself

Post by Neil » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:01 pm

Hello and welcome to the site and forum!

Sorry for the delay replying, unfortunately the forum isn't currently as busy as it used to be and I am unable to dedicate as much time to it at the moment either for one reason or another...

With a footprint like that to work with, there is a lot you can achieve so let us know your rough budget and we can advise a little further! You can go for a basic tank or preformed pond with simple decoration, all the way up to a little slice of the aquatic outdoors in your living room made to look as realistic as you like. Depending on the opinion of your other half, or any kids (height of pond) to consider will also limit you, but you'd be surprised what a great feature an indoor pond can be turned into! Having a planted filter with reeds would be a great and cheap option, or even just a heavily planted pond, and as for lighting a MVB (mercury vapour bulb) would be ideal for something that size as it's basically the sun in a bulb so ideal for your terrapins, just need to be kept around 14" minimum away from the basking area.

~trttle
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

Lazlo

Post by Lazlo » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:47 pm

hi Neil and thank you for the welcome,i understand constraints but glad you spend time helping people out when you have the Time

to answer a couple of questions

initial Budget around £300 that can be added to later to add pretties, At moment priority is to give decent swimming area and a basking area.Made the best i can of what they arrived in but it is in adequate one of them 4 to 5 inches long in a 3ft tank not good the other 2 around 2 inches

children 1 11 year old.loves em to bits as they have great characters will feed them with tongs and wash tongs
and hands afterwards (have explained to her they might carry salmonella which is not nice for people so if you handle them or put your hands in water make sure you wash them properly

err indoors she said we would take them don't think she realized the implications as these lovable creatures grow a lot bigger so mission creep a possibility 5ft may well be a possibility given that i've ordered a 460litre pond = 5ft may become 7 ft

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:48 pm

Ideally you're going to want 400+ litres to allow for some growing room, upgrading by small bits at a time when you know they're only going to get bigger is false economy, even if it does sting to start with. Having said that, £300 is a good budget, and a tidy wooden framework with a box welded liner and cladding on the outside should be comfortably in budget, look great, and be easy to improve upon with decoration and basking options. The biggest expense will be the liner itself, but a decent liner will last 25 years outside, let alone inside, and of course reliable is kinda handy with 400+ litres in your lounge! If you wanted to be clever (or in the future) you could even fit a clear polycarbonate window in the side for underwater viewing. The pump shouldn't be too much especially if you look second hand (I really rate FishMate for low running costs and reliability), and you can home-make a filter very easily and cheaply.

You can involve your kid with building the filter or decorating, always nice when you have a project, but sounds like you're already on just the right track with them :) Terrapins will naturally carry salmonella, as will many household pets actually (especially cats), it just happens that terrapins get the blame for any problems first when in fact basic hygiene and a decent immune system is all you need to be perfectly safe.

Always good to have developments you can do; from the aforementioned window, to filtration upgrades such as a UV clarifier for crystal clear (and germ-free) water, to a sandy basking area to look as natural as possible.
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

Maria
Administrator

Post by Maria » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:25 pm

Welcome to the forum Lazlo!! :)
0.1.0 Pseudemys concinna concinna