Hi

Come and introduce yourself!
Richard

Hi

Post by Richard » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:39 pm

When I got my terrapin he was the size of a 50 pence piece.he is 8 years old now and is 8 inch long 5 inch wide and 3 inch thick (shell size) he wants feeding all the time but I feed him 3 times a day. He is very lively and loves attention and loves being handled.his tank is 36"x 24"

MikeC

Re: Hi

Post by MikeC » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:47 pm

Hi Richard. You have responded to a very old post here.

I'm glad you've had your turtle for 8 years and he appears to be healthy. Maybe now is the time to have a read around on the internet, books and magazines and assess how much you should be feeding for slow, healthy growth.

Good luck,

Michael

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:00 pm

Thanks for reply Michael.i have been doing some research and think that his diet is a healthy one.he has lots of room and seems happy enough, family keep saying get him some company but would need more room and wouldn't want to upset him or change his personality.

MikeC

Post by MikeC » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:26 pm

Indeed. He is unlikely to want or need company especially not with the turtle vs tank size.

Depending on how much you feed each time, I believe it is the accepted wisdom that feeding 3 times a week is a more natural routine. The suggested volume is about the size of the turtles head. Have a little search around and see what you think. Don't panic though, you've got this far :-)

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:50 am

Hi, depending on the species and what it is you're feeding, this could be over-feeding, or it might be reasonable. Some species the males are fully grown by 8" and fully grown in 8 years is pretty fast, however other species especially females that wouldn't be too bad a growth rate. The tank isn't a bad size, but bigger wouldn't hurt, once again depending on the species, but also depending on the filtration, another terrapin would potentially cause problems and wouldn't offer any benefits as they are solitary animals.
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta