Please can anyone give Harry the Red Eared Terrapin a home?

Come and introduce yourself!
Lucy1

Please can anyone give Harry the Red Eared Terrapin a home?

Post by Lucy1 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:43 pm

Hello, my name is Lucy and I'm from the Chester area. I've joined the forum as I've tried everything I can think of to try and find Harry a new suitable home.
Harry is one of many rescued terrapins that my Mum accommodated in a purpose built pond. She could never turn away any animal in need care or of a home. Unfortunately my Mum passed away quite suddenly last october leaving her animals behind. I have her Cat Charlie but as i only have a small yard in a rented property I can't have Harry. I wouldnt hesitate to take him otherwise as like all our animals, we love him.
Harry is over twenty years old who originally lived with two other females and one male very happily in the pond. I understand male red eared terrapins are smaller in size so I assume Harry is a male as 'the girls' were the size of dinner plates! The others passed away approximately ten years ago and Harry has lived in the pond alone for the past ten years.
Would you believe it, Girlie the largest female on a very hot day decided to escape, went under the back garden gate and went in the canal swimming through two locks before a miracle happened and we found her again.
Harry hibernates every year and we used to love watching him 'pop up' as the weather became warmer. His diet consists of chicken, prawns and fish and frog spawn in spring. It makes me so sad that Harry couldn't spend the rest of his life where he is but obviously we have been left with no other option, the house has to be sold.
Please, please is there anybody out there who is willing to give Harry a home in an environment similar to what he is used to and with owners who have good knowledge of these lovely creatures. I am desperate and very short of time to find him a nice home, I cant think of anything worse than him being put in a small tank because he has nowhere else to go.
If you need any other information please to not hesitate to contact me and thank you for taking the time to read this post.
Thank you
Lucy