Water quality

Come and introduce yourself!
Debra96

Water quality

Post by Debra96 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi
I recently rescued a yellow belly slider which was kept in a very small tank and very neglected !
I have set him up in a 3ft tank which at present is fine, he has almost doubled in size and is now very active so I must be getting something right !!
I hoover the tank a couple times a week and weekly do a part water change. The problem I'm having is that the water tends to be slightly discoloured ( a brownish tinge ) . Could this be down to not having a powerful enough filter ? I just bought what was recommended in my local pet shop. Any advise would be appreciated !! By the way I feed him in his tank with a mixture of pellets, dried shrimp, raw meat and any fruit/ veg that I have, I only feed him what he will eat at the time and remove any excess immediately.

Neil
Administrator

Re: Water quality

Post by Neil » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:48 am

Hi,

So sorry this got missed, I don't know if you're still having water quality issues, but by the sounds of it, it's down to overfeeding and a small filter. Unfortunately terrapins are messy at the best of times so you will need a powerful filter which is recommended for at least 2 to 3 times the actual tank size, or better still an external filter. As for feeding, the rapid growth confirms the overfeeding, imagine you had a child who doubled in size in the same time period, you'd soon notice, but with terrapins people tend to think of it as good. Slow growth is ideal for an animal that should be surviving for 50 plus years, but they are scavengers and will eat as much as they physicaly can, as often as possible, because in nature they wouldn't know when they might feed again, and for 3 or 4 months over winter they wouldn't eat at all.

What are your temps like (water and basking area), how full is the tank, and what foods are you offering? As well as quantity, certain foods are more likely to result in poor water quality and mess.
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta