Making your own filters. (pic heavy)

Guides and tutorials from the more experienced members - a great place to find ideas!
Turtle_Huw
Advanced Member

Post by Turtle_Huw » Wed May 11, 2011 1:45 pm

OK Ive been asked (well Jo has) by a few people how I made the pond filters she has in her pics, so here goes.

first, you start of with a big plastic tub, like this one (with a lid)

and some plastic piping, 40mm and 22mm

some fittings

You will also need a 22mm push fit end cap (forgot to take a pic sorry!). Two hole saws, one 40ish mm and one 30ish mm (doesnt matter if they are a little bigger) and a 10mm drill bit.

About half way up on one end of the tub drill the 40mm hole, (hold a bit of wooden board against the inside of the tub, to stop the plastic from splitting).

....and at the other end, drill the 30mm hole at the top.
again, hold a bit of board on the inside to avoid splitting the tub.

You then need to make the internal 'workings' using the pushfit tee piece and the 40mm pipe; to make something that looks like this.

the length of spout is up to you (horizontal pipe), but the vertical bit of pipe needs to be just long enough so that it just about rests on the bottom on the tub when the spout sticks out of the 40mm hole, like this. you will not need to use any sealant on the joins.

Next, fit the overflow part to the 30mm hole with the threaded bit on the outside. Cut a length of the 22mm pipe for your spray bar. This needs to be about 4 inches shorter than the length of the tub and usng the 10mm drill bit, make some holes along the length of the pipe.

Smooth any burrs off as best you can.

This pipe then pushes into the overflow fitting, and push the end cap on the other end (there is no need for any aquarium sealant on this pipe.) Using aquarium sealant, stick the tee piece and spout in place, so you end up with something that looks like this.

Wait for the sealant go off, and then fill with alfagrog (or your preferred bio media) to just under the level of the spout and a few layers of filter sponge over the top of that but ensure you leave the top of the tee piece exposed:-

Place in the desired position near your pond connect the pump to the over flow piece pop the lid on and away you go.

if you want to you can use 90 degree overflow joints so that the pump hose attaches to the side of the tub and the spray bar runs down the side rather than the middle.

and you can get funky with the spout.

Thanks for looking, if you have any question please shout.

suej

Re: Making your own filters. (pic heavy)

Post by suej » Wed May 11, 2011 2:23 pm

excellent Huw, love the spray bar ~fn-hdbng I always have trouble getting OH to believe you can plumbing pipes for 'pond' things, he always insists on getting stuff for ponds ~cnf-dunno
sue j
><>

Ruth

Post by Ruth » Wed May 11, 2011 2:31 pm

This is great Huw, I can't wait to show Brian later ~wink-smile , not that we plan on having any more pond areas/terrapin rescues....... ~wsltng
P.S. I like the white "tank", what exactly is that please?
Ruth, Mother of 15 tortoises and turtles plus many other furred and feathered pets. Partner Brian, fab pond builder both indoors and out, same for tortoise enclosures and now a fab new aviary.

Turtle_Huw
Advanced Member

Post by Turtle_Huw » Wed May 11, 2011 2:49 pm

Ruth wrote:This is great Huw, I can't wait to show Brian later ~wink-smile , not that we plan on having any more pond areas/terrapin rescues....... ~wsltng
P.S. I like the white "tank", what exactly is that please?
Hi and thanks, its a pallet box.

V1C1OUSFLOWER

Post by V1C1OUSFLOWER » Wed May 11, 2011 3:10 pm

wow how clever!! Good work ~fn-hdbng
Claire
x1 YBS
x1 Mississippi Map
x2 African Mud

x2 Common Musks

MikeC

Post by MikeC » Wed May 11, 2011 3:19 pm

Brilliantly simple. Especially the swept tee to output from the bottom of the tank and provide an overflow path.

Turtle_Huw
Advanced Member

Post by Turtle_Huw » Wed May 11, 2011 4:06 pm

MikeC wrote:Brilliantly simple. Especially the swept tee to output from the bottom of the tank and provide an overflow path.
Thanks Mike,

Its based on the same design as the "green genie" but making them yourself is much much cheaper. ill get round to working out how much each one costs soon

MikeC

Post by MikeC » Wed May 11, 2011 6:13 pm

Might be worth pointing out for all ( all though the obvious is always obvious when it is pointed out :-) ) that the water level in the filter in not going to be much higher than the bottom of the outlet pipe. The water dropping off the spray bar will rapidly move through the foam to that level. I would suggest you could make the output pipe a little higher in this example to get more wet material in your filter.

Just a minor observation, not a critisism :-)

Turtle_Huw
Advanced Member

Post by Turtle_Huw » Wed May 11, 2011 7:37 pm

MikeC wrote:Might be worth pointing out for all ( all though the obvious is always obvious when it is pointed out :-) ) that the water level in the filter in not going to be much higher than the bottom of the outlet pipe. The water dropping off the spray bar will rapidly move through the foam to that level. I would suggest you could make the output pipe a little higher in this example to get more wet material in your filter.

Just a minor observation, not a critisism :-)
The first few of these I made I did just that however found having the outlet nearer the half way mark has less risk of flooding the filter. But basically as long as the top of the tee piece is a good inch or so below the spray bar you should be ok. Having said that if you use the 50ltr storage box (as shown) you will use a large bag of alfagrog making it the way I describe.

Clemmys
Advanced Member

Post by Clemmys » Wed May 11, 2011 11:59 pm

Absolutely brilliant Huw
Graham
Worcestershire

Emys - Clemmys - Mauremys - Graptemys