Swap for ybs terrapins

For breeding purposes, and such
v6joe

Swap for ybs terrapins

Post by v6joe » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:55 pm

I have two of these not sure what they are lol been told common musks . Was sold to me as razor backs but you guys say different. I am looking to do a deal with a couple ybs up to 3or 4.

These I've had for a just over a yr they are about 4 inches from head to tail.

Feel free to ask anything. Your welcome to come and view . I may possibly just sell them and buy some ybs

terrapin two

Re: Swap for ybs terrapins

Post by terrapin two » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:09 pm

They are common musks. Can you get pics of their tails up please so they can be sexed, one is definitely female. If any are male there will come a time they will need to be kept in a large pond or seperated as the male will get very randy. zekee (forum member) collected my male musk this week as he is hoping to breed them.
One thing you should keep in mind is that ybs' grow to a large 13 inch shell length which is a big terrapin and the musks will grow to a moderate 5-6 inches. The ybs' will require treble the space the musks would when they reach adult size, double the space at minimum. I hope you keep this in consideration when deciding what to do.

I would love another female musk (or a hatchling of any sex).
My YBS' are great I must admit. They act like an excited puppy when you go anywhere near their pond.
"but I don't wish to be mad" Alice remarked.. "we can't help that" replied the cat, "you're mad, I'm mad, we're all mad here"...
LEWIS CARROLL.

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:13 pm

As said, swapping from musk to YBS is the opposite of what most are looking for, musks are far more suited to the home keeper, how come you're looking at this swap (out of interest)?
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

v6joe

Post by v6joe » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:15 pm

I built a 6"x6"x2" pond last year to put them in but was told not to as they prob wouldn't survive so they have stayed in the tank for now. I'm sure I was told last time one is male one female.

I understand I need bigger for ybs . Hence why I built my pondin the first place.

v6joe

Post by v6joe » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:18 pm

Neil wrote:As said, swapping from musk to YBS is the opposite of what most are looking for, musks are far more suited to the home keeper, how come you're looking at this swap (out of interest)?

I prefure the look of the ybs. Thought I would try a swap on here first before I try to sell them

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:54 pm

That's fine mate, just asking out of interest ~thmbu

I'm sure there's plenty of option to swap your little chaps for YBS! Just YBS you're looking at, or other sliders too?
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

v6joe

Post by v6joe » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:18 pm

Would consider other types. Am open to offers. Am happy to settle for one for one.

Eventually will put what I get into my pond ones my tree has been cut down to get full sunlight on my pond. Need to get it better suited for turtles first . It already has a basking area but need a boarder and a sand pit type thing on the end. But ATM just after something different to make my take look a bit brighter.

terrapin two

Post by terrapin two » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:29 pm

v6joe wrote:I built a 6"x6"x2" pond last year to put them in but was told not to as they prob wouldn't survive...
Musks tend be the hardier terrapins and would probably have the best chance of surviving the winter in the pond. Hibernation is a difficult thing, there is thread on here by an experienced keeper that would be of interest to you, I will find you the link.
On the flip side, if you get sliders they don't necessarily need hibernating and can be brought inside during the colder months. This is quite a popular option I've read amongst keepers as winter hibernation always has its risks.

Here is the link to some problems with hibernating in the UK.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2307

EDIT: I would look to rehome rather than to buy if you are looking for sliders. Also the benefit of rehomes being a bit older usually means they are a bit stronger and more suited to a pond. Keep an eye out in the FTGH section and you may see something you like.
"but I don't wish to be mad" Alice remarked.. "we can't help that" replied the cat, "you're mad, I'm mad, we're all mad here"...
LEWIS CARROLL.

v6joe

Post by v6joe » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:43 pm

Ok will keep an eye on that for now

terrapin two

Post by terrapin two » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:50 pm

By the way, if you could find something suitable in the FTGH section I would willingly rehome a female musk but I would only be looking at a rehome, I'm not looking to swap or buy.
I just reluctantly gave my male musk away for rehoming as it was the right thing to do for the musk but I obviously had my hesitations for selfish reasons I suppose. I am now looking for a female Musk as I like to keep at least two of a species, it's a personal choice.
LEWIS CARROLL.