FTGH 3 turtles rescued/owner past away

Terrapins offered "FTGH" - free to good home
Franka73

FTGH 3 turtles rescued/owner past away

Post by Franka73 » Fri May 15, 2015 11:47 am

Please can anyone rehome these 3 turtles? I have posted in the forum also to try and learn and look after them as best I can until I find a home for them. They were found in a murky tank, no lights no filter etc and had been there for over a week before I got them home and cleaned them out. They are currently stuck in a 1.5ft tank, which I have tried my best to make as suitable as possible, but is no way big enough.

I live in the Cheshire area, and if anyone can point me in the right direction or has room for them, please contact me. The RSPCA, and turtle rescue and other groups incl. exotic pet shops will not have them and all say they have no room.

I can not afford to house all these, and after reading this one of the yellow ones is starting to get "Friendly" with the other, and the last think I want to happen is for them to breed :(

please please help me find these creatures a home.

thank you

Zekee

Re: FTGH 3 turtles rescued/owner past away

Post by Zekee » Sat May 16, 2015 2:36 pm

You may have more luck on Facebook, there's a lot more traffic than on forums these days! Good luck

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Sat May 16, 2015 9:44 pm

A lot of members are from the South which makes life a little more difficult, but there are a few members towards your area, or as Zekee suggests social media can be a handy tool, or Gumtree. The RSPCA have never been helpful when it comes to exotics, they have the opinion (and keep trying to enforce it) that if it isn't cute and fluffy, you shouldn't be allowed it as a pet.
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

Franka73

Post by Franka73 » Sun May 17, 2015 3:13 am

Thank you for your reply, I have tried facebook, and some friends have reposted for us too, but no luck.

Ill keep trying, but I find it amazing that there is no where that actually takes them in, knowing that they are not in the right env etc, and it is no wonder some people have literally just dropped them off at a local pond.

Thanks again, and ill let the forum know how I get on :)

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Mon May 18, 2015 6:17 pm

Dropping them off to the local pond / waterway is illegal as they aren't a native species, but they aren't bad for native wildlife the way some horror stories make out! They mainly eat plant matter and aquatic bugs (unless you get a snapper) so do as much good as harm, and there is no way they can breed as there aren't enough consecutive hot days in this country to incubate the eggs. When I had my own place in Tamworth I had over 100 terrapins at most times which were all rescues, over 3000L of water in the house and at least twice again in outdoor ponds so you can imagine it's not easy to do. It doesn't help that reptiles have always had a bit of a bad reputation for no good reason, and as mentioned the RSPCA are not the most helpful people in the world when it comes to "exotics". It is a shame as they really can be great pets - more entertaining than fish, but cheaper and cleaner to keep that cats and dogs!
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta