Male rescue YBS FTGH - Please help

Terrapins offered "FTGH" - free to good home
V1C1OUSFLOWER

Male rescue YBS FTGH - Please help

Post by V1C1OUSFLOWER » Wed May 22, 2013 8:19 pm

Hi All,

About a month ago I rescued a male YBS turtle from Swallows Aquatics at Mill Race Garden Centre in Colchester (naming and shaming as have since sent an email to them along with pictures and care sheets with no response). The poor thing was in a 3 foot tank with large rocks on the bottom and about 1 1/2 inches of water so the turtle was clearly in distress hitting against the glass and could barely walk around the tank. There was also no heat lamp and the poor turtles shell looked like it hadnt seen the sun in quite some time. This is quite a large turtle so it was extra heartwrenching to see. Long story short I complained but the staff were young and inexperienced and didnt really give a crap about what I had to say or the turtles wellfare so I ended up bringing the turtle home to get it out of there. When I put the turtle in the tank at home he could barely swim but there was soon no stopping him. The turtles shell is not in the best shape but it's nice and hard and the scutes are now lifting thanks to daily exposure to a heat lamp. His nails were also really short but seem to be growing back but he has some that are missing.

Here are some pictures the day I brought him home

compared to my own male YBS Ernie (on the right)

And here he is after a week living with us - He sleeps on his head and sunbathes in the strangest positions, he truly is a character!!

Sadly when I rescued him I knew I couldnt offer him a permanant home. I have 6 turtles of my own in 3 tanks; two cats; two dogs and now a baby on the way so it's not feasible for us to keep him. I have got so attached to him (we called him Gerty) and I really want to find him a good permanant home like he deserves. I live in Braintree, Essex so if anyone is interested or knows someone that could help please please get in touch. I knew when I saw him that all he needed was a bit of tlc and proper care and he's already doing so well after just a month. I truly hope someone can offer him a nice home.

Thanks for taking the time to read this ~aw-huggles

Claire
Claire
x1 YBS
x1 Mississippi Map
x2 African Mud

x2 Common Musks

tonyuk

Re: Male rescue YBS FTGH - Please help

Post by tonyuk » Wed May 22, 2013 10:55 pm

It's a shame I didn't have transport, I would of had him as looking for another couple but Leicester is a long way from you :-(

Here is my 3 basking.

Tony :-)
Attachments
DSCN1662.JPG
DSCN1662.JPG (196 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
DSCN1663.JPG
DSCN1663.JPG (219.6 KiB) Viewed 2657 times

V1C1OUSFLOWER

Post by V1C1OUSFLOWER » Thu May 23, 2013 9:08 am

Wow you have some very happy looking turtles there ~aw-wub

Would you be willing to meet half way? I dont mind travelling because I want him to have a lovely home and I think he'd be very happy with you and your turtles.

Claire
Claire
x1 YBS
x1 Mississippi Map
x2 African Mud

x2 Common Musks

V1C1OUSFLOWER

Post by V1C1OUSFLOWER » Thu May 23, 2013 9:18 am

sorry Tony I've got pregnancy brain and in all the excitement at seeing your happy turtles I didnt spot the part about you not having transport.

I have spoken to my very understanding oh and he has said that we can come to you if you want still him. Can you PM your postcode so we can work out how long it would take. It would have to be a weekened that we brought him to you.

Thanks

Claire
Claire
x1 YBS
x1 Mississippi Map
x2 African Mud

x2 Common Musks

tonyuk

Post by tonyuk » Thu May 23, 2013 10:30 am

It's 109 mile from Braintree to Leicester.
Gerty would be happy though, all 3 of my terrapins are real friendly, all 3 of them come to me and climb on my hand if I hold it out to them ~aw-wub

He would be happy, I would make sure of it.

If you can let us know the fuel cost then we should be able to come up with something for that also :-)

Have sent you my post code via pm.

Thanks. Tony ~dance

V1C1OUSFLOWER

Post by V1C1OUSFLOWER » Thu May 23, 2013 3:39 pm

Aww I'm so happy I've found him a good home ~aw-huggles

When would be convinient for you for us to bring him to you, we could drive up on Sunday if you wanted?

I truly cant thank you enough for giving Gerty a lovely home ~aw-huggles
Claire
x1 YBS
x1 Mississippi Map
x2 African Mud

x2 Common Musks

tonyuk

Post by tonyuk » Thu May 23, 2013 4:17 pm

Any day you like is good for us, can't wait to have him.

And thank you for letting us have him, it's so nice to see others want the best for there little friends ~aw-huggles

Zekee

Post by Zekee » Thu May 23, 2013 5:08 pm

Remember, this animal will need to under go a period of quarantine before introduced to your others.

tonyuk

Post by tonyuk » Sun May 26, 2013 2:27 pm

Well got him and he's a lovely little fellow, fell in love already ~aw-wub hehe

Big thanks to Claire and her fellow for bringing him over 100 miles to me, very much appreciated and will take good care of him.

Tony ~dance

V1C1OUSFLOWER

Post by V1C1OUSFLOWER » Sun May 26, 2013 8:09 pm

I Could not have wished to have found him a better home and as much as we are going to miss him, it was so much easier leaving him knowing that he has settled into his new kingdom already!! I bet he's barely moving after all that food he scoffed down haha

Thank you so much for giving Gerty the home he deserves; I've decided to avoid pet shops for the rest of my pregnancy as cant promise that if I see neglect like I did with Gerty that I wont end up bringing more home lol

It was so lovely meeting you, Sharon and your lovely Son not to mention Sunny, Trixie and Pixie. I look forward to seeing photo updates on how he's getting on.

Thanks again I will always be greatful ~aw-huggles
Claire
x1 YBS
x1 Mississippi Map
x2 African Mud

x2 Common Musks