Help-Found Terrapin

A place to chat about non-specific terrapin topics.
Kate

Help-Found Terrapin

Post by Kate » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:40 pm

Hi. I am a deputy manager of a nursery in london and whilst our preschool children were at the park today they found a teraphin being attacked by a dog. There didn't seem to be an owner anywhere and obviously the children and teachers did not want the dog to kill it so they brought it back to class. However I am worried as to what to do next. Is a park in central London with a duck pond a healthy habitat for a terrapin or would he find it hard to survive there. Also is a teraphin a vivable pet for a class to have or do they need attention 7 days a week (we close weekends). The teraphin i think is a type of slider from your identification page but I can post some pics tomorrow for help in identication. Also he is about the size of an adults hand ( I know that is a bit vague). Lastly would the proper set up for a teraphin like this be costly as we do not have a lot of spare cash being a nursery.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Kate ~trttle

Neil
Administrator

Re: Help-Found Terrapin

Post by Neil » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:12 am

Hello and welcome to the site and forum :)

Right, in order...

-> As a non-native species it is actually a criminal offence to release it back into the wild, so it would need to be kept or rehomed to someone suitable.

-> While it's ideal to have someone around to make sure the filter is working properly 7 days a week just in case something fails or the outlet pipe falls out (for instance), the terrapin itself needs little attention once it is all settled and once or twice a week is plenty for feeding. The biggest problems are potential for illness (not an issue providing any kids who handle it wash their hands properly), and the size of the tank needed as an adult female would grow to around 12" shell length (about 9-10" as a male) and need a several hundred litre tank / pond.

-> Setups can actually be made to look really good for quite cheaply, there are often cheap or free tanks / ponds around, you can build a filter (class project), the only real need for purchase is a decent pump and the rest can be made or scavenged fairly easily :)
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

Kate

Post by Kate » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:44 pm

Thank you so much for your reply but it died last night. We don't know how long he/she had been in the park before we found it and it stayed in its shell the whole time only moving its legs a little and it's eyes when we had it yesterday so it may have already been ill or in shock. A parent took care of it last night for us but when she woke up this morning its eyes were closed and we watched it all morning and it didn't move or open its eyes. I just hope we didn't do anything wrong. We made sure it had clean room temp water to swim in and a rest thing to sit on outof the water and cabbage leaves in case it got hungry ~cry-wtry

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:41 pm

It more than likely had some sort of injury or was in shock as you say, or it could simply have been ill and "on it's last legs" which is why it was wandering around and had been found by the dog. It's been a long winter with strange weather lately being hot during the day and freezing at night which is a really bad mix for an animal which, assuming it's been living wild for a while, has just begun waking up after hibernation.
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

sdmtate

Post by sdmtate » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:02 pm

although it is probably beyond help,even by a vet,if all legs and head are still tucked into the shell,chances are its still alive,in my experience,turtles head and limbs hang out when they are dead

steve
0.0.5. mauremys mutica
1.0.0. Trachemys scripta troostii
0.2.0. Trachemys scripta elegans
3.2.0. Trachemys scripta scripta
0.1.0. Pseudemys concinna
0.1.0 Graptemys ouachitensis