What plant species do terrapins eat

A place to chat about non-specific terrapin topics.
kina

What plant species do terrapins eat

Post by kina » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi i'm new on this forum. I was wondering what wild pond plants invasive red-eared terrapins generally eat in the UK. Also which plants are poisonous for them?
Hope someone can answer, as ecology is not my strong point.
Many Thanks
Kina

MikeC

Re: What plant species do terrapins eat

Post by MikeC » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:37 am

Not exactly the answer you were looking for but have you seen these;

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=99

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30

and bump for what is a difficult question about what a red eared would eat in the wild in the UK. I propose the answer ... anything it fancies and is slow enough to eat. It would be interesting to know the background to your question.

kina

Post by kina » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:08 pm

Thank you very much for your reply and the links!
The reason i'm asking this question is because i am doing my dissertation on "The distribution of invasive red-eared terrapins around Jersey, Channel islands" and wondered how the terrapins: 1. survive the cold winters and 2. what vegetation around the ponds/reservoirs they may eat. However due to my lack of plant identification, i thought if i could get an idea of what plants they may eat in the wild i could research them and identify some of the pond plants that i've seen. There tends to be a lot of duck weed, but i haven't observed any terrapin eating it, so i guess they hide within it.
Many thanks :D

MikeC

Post by MikeC » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:52 pm

Interesting.

What subject is the dissertation for ?

kina

Post by kina » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:06 pm

I'm studying Zoology

terrapin two

Post by terrapin two » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:07 pm

I have YBS' and Mississippi Maps that can't get enough duckweed, they eat it as fast as I put it in my indoor pond. These are captivity turtles and you are studying captive pets that have been released into the wild so there is something to be learned perhaps for us hobbyists from your dissertation.
Please come back with any info you find that would be of interest to us turtle keepers and good luck with your dissertation.

Ryan.
"but I don't wish to be mad" Alice remarked.. "we can't help that" replied the cat, "you're mad, I'm mad, we're all mad here"...
LEWIS CARROLL.

kina

Post by kina » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:09 pm

Thank you for your reply, you have a lovely hobby!
The study should be completed by September 2013 so i will share any interesting info i find on here :)