burried Pelomedusas

A place to chat about non-specific terrapin topics.
notropsis

burried Pelomedusas

Post by notropsis » Sun May 06, 2012 11:54 am

for the last 10 days my females have been burrying themselves in the sand on their island
the temp of the sand is 84F an inch down (where they are burried) the temp is maintained at this at night with a red light
The male basks in the daytime but spends most of his time in the water
the females dont stay in one place but move about in and out of the warmest area and also up and down
from lying on the surface of the sand to an inch under it, but mostly with just the top of their shells showing.
Sometimes in a morning they are back in the water. This is a change of behavior from what has been 'normal'
Any ideas what could be the matter?
thanks

Julie
Photo Competition

Re: burried Pelomedusas

Post by Julie » Sun May 06, 2012 4:42 pm

Nothing from me I'm afraid, apart from a helpful bump of this to the top of the list ~trttle
Julie - "mother" of

0.1.0 Eastern? River Cooter - Max
0.1.0 Map - Eleanor Digby

And Photo Competition Controller (although not a very good one) - photo.competition@terrapin-info.co.uk

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Sun May 06, 2012 6:04 pm

I know if Africa they aestivate during the hottest part of the year, perhaps they think it's time as the temps are climbing and you've got it nice and toasty anyway?
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

notropsis

Post by notropsis » Sun May 06, 2012 9:46 pm

I see maybe I should leave things as they are for the mext month, then switch the night light of?
the water temp is 78f the smallest female is back in the water this afternoon hungry but the larger female is still burried