42" & 24" tank + sump filter

Photos of tanks and ponds that you have, or have seen.
cross7fu

42" & 24" tank + sump filter

Post by cross7fu » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:04 am

I've started to build the new sump filter for my 42" RES tank and 24" snapper tank 7 months ago
Usually main tank overflow water to sump tank, but I don like to drill holes on tanks

My idea was using undergravel filter board(connects to overflow box) to remove the waste that sinks to the bottom of the tank
The return water hose place in the middle of the tank push waste to two sides

However I found an aquarium selling their old display tanks for half price, and it has an overflow hole at the back, then I think why not using both overflow box and overflow hole?
Also turtles produce more waste than fish, so I added a mechanical filtration box(MFB) which fill with foam, water has to pass through it before it goes down to the sump tank

Since I planned to get a more powerful pump so I can still use it for bigger tanks in the future, the filter connects to my 24" tank as well
And I added another hose leads water back to the sump's first chamber so I can control the flowrate

I use the same sump tank that I used for my 24" tank before, when the pump stops there is not enough space to store the water that overflows from both tanks
So I connect the sump tank to a water storage tank(WST) and a feeder fish breeding tank with syphon tubes
The pump makes too much vibration and it is too noisy when I put it into the sump tank, so I put it into the WST and it takes water from the sump tank with a hose

I used plastic egg crate to make the undergravel board, I tied insect screen on it to prevent gravels falling underneath it

Heaters are placed under the board, waterflow brings warm water to the entire tank

Gravels, driftwood, rocks and plants

The overflow hole is behind this box

Overflow boxes on both sides of the tank, connect to undergravel board

The MFB
Water goes down to the left side, goes underneath the foam and overflow to the holes on the right side
Holes at the back are slightly higher, incase water level goes too high, they'll lead water to WST

The overflow hole on the main tank connects to a 2" PVC pipe
I cut a bottle in half and drill holes on it to trap anything(including fish) that got suck in by the overflow hole

Water goes down from MFB to sump tank

The sump tank, it has
14L bio rings
3.5L Eheim substrat pro
1L Seachem bio rock

4000L/H pump
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=n0nzLCHGeyw

Placed in the WST

WST
Hose on top leads water to the 42" tank
Hose at the bottom leads water to 24" tank
On the right side is the incase-water-level-rises hose from MFB

The long hose on top leads water back to the first chamber
Hoses at bottom are syphon tubes and the hose that the pump takes water from the sump tank

The thing that helps me add water to the sump tank, made by PVC pipe and top part of a 2L soft drink bottle

Later on I added some water lettuce(Pistia stratiotes) into the last camber
Plants consume Ammonia and Nitrate as fertilizer, I'm testing if it helps extending the frequency of water change

Flat rock staircase, let turtles go up to the platform

A hose at the back creates waterflow

Basking platform

The coroplast could not support the soil's weight and it collapsed, so I made another support by wood

UVA and UVB light bulbs, with direct sunlight when window is open

Too much sunlight on the right side, so I add 2 pieces of transparent coroplast at the corner

The same method for the 24" tank

Overflow box

----------------------------------------------------------

Finally the overall view and video, enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9tr_oyIIgk

Tim

Re: 42" & 24" tank + sump filter

Post by Tim » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:00 pm

great job, well done, how long did it all take to design & build?
1.7.0 various Map's
1.1.0 YBS
0.1.0 RES
1.2.0 northern diamondback
0.1.0 common snapper

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:27 pm

Certainly looks extremely complicated, just watch all those joints for any leaks! My main concern would be the cross-contamination of the tanks if one of your turtles were to get sick as they run off a joint filter.
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

cross7fu

Post by cross7fu » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:27 pm

moxtikelpor wrote:great job, well done, how long did it all take to design & build?
thx, me and my fd always came up wif crazy ideas, this practical one was created last winter
I bought the 42" tank last year 31st Dec, started to build all the stuff on march, finished last month, and still modifying it
Last edited by cross7fu on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cross7fu

Post by cross7fu » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:32 pm

Neil wrote:Certainly looks extremely complicated, just watch all those joints for any leaks! My main concern would be the cross-contamination of the tanks if one of your turtles were to get sick as they run off a joint filter.
thx, luckily nothing leaks for now
RES and snapper are tenacious turtles, unless the heaters fail or serious diseases carried along by the new fish, otherwise they are pretty hard to get sick ~angl

justatwinturbo
Advanced Member

Post by justatwinturbo » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:05 pm

very nice and well thought out, i didnt read through all the text, but 1 main concern i would have is if power goes out, would it siphon all the water from the above tanks into the sump and then overfill the sump. other than that, it looks great.

cross7fu

Post by cross7fu » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:18 am

justatwinturbo wrote:very nice and well thought out, i didnt read through all the text, but 1 main concern i would have is if power goes out, would it siphon all the water from the above tanks into the sump and then overfill the sump. other than that, it looks great.
the overflow boxes on both side of the tank prevents from siphoning too much water down to the sump
I've tried many times make sure it doesnt overfill the sump, and it works perfect ~fn-hdbng

Keelan

Post by Keelan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:32 am

What is the AT basking area made out of? Cost? and how long did it take to build?

MikeC

Post by MikeC » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:30 am

wow