Another pond build

Photos of tanks and ponds that you have, or have seen.
MikeC

Re: Another pond build

Post by MikeC » Wed May 15, 2013 3:05 pm

Romski
Advanced Member

Post by Romski » Wed May 15, 2013 8:39 pm

Mike I had some of those youngsters as have others here. They have proven to be nice animals and are growing well.

I saw Jan a couple of months ago and he has sold the parents now but an email to him might solicit who the owner is for a follow up.

In my dome I have tried to make things interesting at the 3D level. One trick that has been really successful is as follows.
I took the biggest pond planter available and then turned it upside down so to have a truncated piramid.
Half way up the inside I put in a false bottom cut from a smaller planter. I then cut out the top (was the bottom) to produce an inverted plant pot that is half a planter deep. In the bottom half I cut away two of the opposing sides within the enclosed section thus creating a cave with two entrances. The cut out was such that the biggest of my turts could get in and out. Because the planter has sloping sides they can climb up it. They love it and it gives them security.

Rom

MikeC

Post by MikeC » Thu May 16, 2013 9:52 am

Good plan. Have you used your favourite stixall to hold the shelf in place?

I have an upturned planting 'bucket' in my fish pond which has the pump tie wrapped to the top (was bottom) of it and the sides cut out for the fish to hide under. My biggest Koi sticks out either end though ;-)

Romski
Advanced Member

Post by Romski » Thu May 16, 2013 3:27 pm

I did along with tie wraps.

Squirtle

Post by Squirtle » Thu May 16, 2013 3:35 pm

Yesterday I managed to get the first batch of sandbags in and even tho I had a hose running in a ton bag for hours the water turned to crap so after spending the evening wading around barefoot in the cold and rain I had to pump the pond out anyway, lesson learn from now on ill use pea gravel in the bags. On a nicer note with this afternoon free and some sun I've managed to get the glass fitted.
I like the underwater cave idea and its really tempting to stick the new bit of wood under water even tho the mrs likes it where it is.

I really should have taken a shot of the underwater hideys before filling it back up but you can just about make out a few bags and a slab in this shot.

Its also experiment day and I'm really against using slabs or rocks as a pond edging as I feel these will inhibit the animals exit too much.
Test one is jute / hessian sacks with a handful of gravel to keep them taut these can be secured with pegs or some mortar my only concerns would be if the animals can get their claws entangled or capillary action is against me so its getting the tissue test for now although if water loss is minimal it would also aid in watering the planters ;)

Edit:

A little and interesting observation today but mostly me typing aloud ~lgh-smil , I have been keeping a small group of rehomers in an unfiltered holding tank, I regularly take them out drain the tank down give it a scrub then match water temps on refill before returning the turtles. Today water temps are +- 1 or 2°F of my garden hose so I thought I'll try a shortcut and have a slow trickle from the hose running in as a siphon drains the tank essentially doing the work for me. Now the interesting part is the sliders (YBS & RES) congregated around the end of the hose as if they where basking in the bubbles/ water flow so out of curiosity I moved the hose over a couple of feet had a cup of tea and as expected there they were all around the end of the hose yet the cooter's and map took no notice at all. Now what interests me is what is so good about the end of the hose? is it the colour, are they waiting for food, the oxygen, the clean water or some soothing sensation caused by the water flow that's attracting them? at first I thought maybe its the oxygen because they have been under for the best part of the past two days due to rain but then why did the agitation from rainfall on the waters surface not have the same effect as the trickle from hose?
Scott

Romski
Advanced Member

Post by Romski » Thu May 16, 2013 10:28 pm

Ifear you will lose loads of water through evaporation. Also you can get losses up the folds of the liner which is acting as a capiliary.

You will find that out of the tank behavious happens in all sorts of interesting ways. You will find them quite inquisitive once they have settled.
The cooters will follow you around just out of interest not necessarily beging.

Rom

Squirtle

Post by Squirtle » Thu May 23, 2013 12:18 pm

Over the weekend I got the first filter up and running and installed the sacks all across one planter. This will give you the basic idea of how the filter works as I forgot to do some progress shots
the sacks appear to be working well keeping the planter moist for marginals but not to the point where I am losing inches of water over night this may change in the full heat of summer (no joke this year will be hot ;)), The first batch of testers also seem to be appreciating the sacks where they seem to effortlessly get out of the water even on the vertical sides or latch on with one foot and hover in the waters edge.
River cooters being inquisitive is an understatement I can't manage to do anything around the pond without being stalked ~lgh-smil

Scott

Romski
Advanced Member

Post by Romski » Fri May 24, 2013 9:35 am

What a fantastic job you have done!
I love the filter idea. Inspirational.

Rom

richardb

Post by richardb » Fri May 24, 2013 11:12 am

It looks great!

Squirtle

Post by Squirtle » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:15 pm

Thanks for the comments once again.

After a lot of hiccups I've finally got a Raspberry Pi up and running with 2x DS18B20 temperature sensors so my pond now has dynamic charts with history, spreadsheets and posts temps to it own twitter feed.
Twitter
Spreadsheet
Graphs
Scott