Another pond build

Photos of tanks and ponds that you have, or have seen.
Squirtle

Another pond build

Post by Squirtle » Tue May 14, 2013 5:38 pm

I get a phonecall from my brother saying B&Q have a heap of decking on clearance at £2 per length and having some larger timber and bits and bobs laying around, I thought why not get started on the turtle pond. The overall size was determined by the number of glass shelves I had to fence the area off with and how long it would be before I got bored of digging, sadly digging is fun and I ran out of glass ~lgh-smil

At this stage I would really have liked to have painted the pond with a clear sealer but this was way beyond my budget so it was off to ebay where I grabbed a 6x4m LDPE pond liner with underlay for £45 posted. This is also where things started to go tits up as it must have been the windiest day for weeks luckily ScrewFix is up the road and they do some cheap contact adhesive so we managed to finally keep the light weight underlay in the hole.
There's still plenty to do, building filters,edging the pond and making some islands and hibernation sites once my sandbags turn up, And i'm really looking forward to getting started on a veg filter and if my bag of Morrisons watercress takes root.
Scott

Zekee

Re: Another pond build

Post by Zekee » Tue May 14, 2013 5:51 pm

Awesome build! ~fn-hdbng

MikeC

Post by MikeC » Tue May 14, 2013 5:51 pm

Wow, the fact that you posted all these pics at the same time suggests this went up quick. Am I right? Looks pretty tidy so far.

So, what are we looking at here, concrete base, blockwork and render over the whole lot? I'm glad you used a liner as I'm not sure of the integrity of the construction long term with no foundations to speak of. As it is the liner will give a little if required.

Looking forward to seeing the rest.

Squirtle

Post by Squirtle » Tue May 14, 2013 6:32 pm

MikeC wrote:Wow, the fact that you posted all these pics at the same time suggests this went up quick. Am I right? Looks pretty tidy so far.

So, what are we looking at here, concrete base, blockwork and render over the whole lot? I'm glad you used a liner as I'm not sure of the integrity of the construction long term with no foundations to speak of. As it is the liner will give a little if required.

Looking forward to seeing the rest.
Hi Mike, I've been holding out on pics for a few days as just a hole in the ground is not that interesting the build has taken 4 days so far I just hope that those four days were not all of our summer ~lgh-smil and since the liner turned up before the sandbags I have to get back in for another swim. The build although lacking proper foundations on the wall and a decent sub base the whole base and sides have a thin covering of hardcore and concrete followed by a 1" wet screed mix topped off with Alumasc polymer render backing coat brought to a sponge finish (the stuff that knocks up like plaster) the backing coat contains tiny fibers and dries as hard nails. I would have opted for mesh and concrete blocks if my budget allowed but tbh I've gone a bit overboard already just to hold a liner, but most of the materials would have ended up in a skip over next couple of weeks so waste not want not. I would also normally say that filling whilst everything is still green is not recommended but the liner will aid the curing process and slow the drying time and if anything does shift hopefully the liner will as you said give a little.

Once the weather breaks I'll get back on it and get you folks updated with another wave of pics.
Zekee wrote:Awesome build! ~fn-hdbng
Cheers
Scott

MikeC

Post by MikeC » Tue May 14, 2013 7:35 pm

So what is Alumasc polymer render backing coat normally used for?

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan » Tue May 14, 2013 7:38 pm

really great build

what size is it ?

Squirtle

Post by Squirtle » Tue May 14, 2013 8:41 pm

Vaughan wrote:really great build

what size is it ?
Thanks the overall enclosure size is 2.1 x 4 metres
MikeC wrote:So what is Alumasc polymer render backing coat normally used for?
Polymer render is mostly used on new builds as an alternative to traditional sand and cement render you will see it used mostly on flats and office blocks as it can come in a number of colours and is low maintenance, the backing coat is pretty much used like a bonding coat is for internal plaster work.
take a look around here and you'll no doubt recognise the stuff or maybe you are familiar with eco renders where a house is clad externally with insulation and the rendered over with similar products.
here's the sheet for the stuff I used shame I couldn't get hold of any bright pink top coat it would have looked awesome on google maps.
http://www.alumascfacades.co.uk/media/1 ... render.pdf
Scott

Romski
Advanced Member

Post by Romski » Wed May 15, 2013 9:13 am

That folks is how it should be done. You have very reason to be proud of your efforts.
Now you need some Emys or Painteds to put into it and do it justice.

Do add some mid depth hidey holes and a way for them to get onto the RHS planter.
How is filtering arranged?

Rom

Julie
Photo Competition

Post by Julie » Wed May 15, 2013 10:08 am

Wow - fantastic pond ~dance
Julie - "mother" of

0.1.0 Eastern? River Cooter - Max
0.1.0 Map - Eleanor Digby

And Photo Competition Controller (although not a very good one) - photo.competition@terrapin-info.co.uk

Squirtle

Post by Squirtle » Wed May 15, 2013 10:31 am

Romski wrote:That folks is how it should be done. You have very reason to be proud of your efforts.
Now you need some Emys or Painteds to put into it and do it justice.

Do add some mid depth hidey holes and a way for them to get onto the RHS planter.
How is filtering arranged?

Rom
Thanks Rom I'll have to be honest and admit I've read virtually every pond build post I could find that you have made and your projects have played a huge role in the design of the pond.
The plan is to use patio slabs ontop of polypropylene sandbags to create hidey holes and plant stands, the sandbags will hopefully also add some fun areas for the turts to poke around aswell as add some more variations in depths. The pond ramps up level to one planter and the ramp will have a stone covering for easy access the other longer planter does have a small ramp that I was planning on covering with rubber matting although I may have to include more ramps and maybe some kind of bridge from the smaller one. The pond is 29" at its deepest point and this is where I plan to draw the water from and hopefully draw down more oxygenated water in the winter with the rest having an average depth of 19". The end result is your angled sides and depth under two foot to hopefully reduce anoxic conditions and higher winter temps combined with some anti predator vertical sides (foxes are a problem here) and a deeper pool should ice start to get too thick or a fox take a paddle. The few good days we had this month also determined the ponds location where the shallow end receives the morning sun at around 8am with half sun cover by 10 then full sun for the rest of the day.

Filtration is planned to be done with two wheelie bins the first will be a vortex type system with mechanical media followed by a second with stone/ceramic media this will finally drain back to the pond through a vegetable filter, Of course my plans change like the wind and this could change but the veg filter will 100% be incorporated one way or another.

Emys I could only ever dream of being blessed with Emys

Edit:
Sandbags have just arrived think I'll drop the water level a bit and get some cold feet today ~lgh-smil
Scott