Another pond build

Photos of tanks and ponds that you have, or have seen.
MikeC

Re: Another pond build

Post by MikeC » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:04 am

Now I am impressed. So much more useful than the model railway applications I hear about in the office here :-)

Squirtle

Post by Squirtle » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:35 pm

Today I noticed the hessian sacks (sandbags) were already starting to break down :( I hoped they would have lasted a bit longer as they were starting grow some nice cover. I've now swapped the bags out for some weed matting that's folded in half with a few handfulls of gravel in to weigh it down tomorrow will tell if that's good enough for the turt's to get a decent grip on.
Scott

rhodrigo27

Post by rhodrigo27 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:37 am

well this is exceptional! using the glass really opens it up and helps make it a really nice feature. Generally wish I had space to do something similar!
Also love the temp sensors! I am certainly following your twitter account! Might need pictures on twitter too! just to make me more jealous!

Squirtle

Post by Squirtle » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:51 am

Hi Folks, Its been almost a year and the pond & turtles have done well. The water cress has grown like crazy in the veg filter, where I remove about 2ft square of cover a week in the warmer months and it even kept growing all winter. The DIY filter has done exceptionally well and I kept it running all winter with the pumps to keep oxygen levels high. My 14 (feeder) goldfish grew from 1" to 6" I was so pleased with both their survival and growth rates since they only eat natural foods in the pond or pellets the turtles miss, so I spent £40 on 10x 5" yellow comets last Sunday to be reduced to 8 of the 24 fish by a heron on Monday morning so for now the pond has an ugly net over the top ~cry-wtry . Wildlife has flourished I was amazed at how many varieties of dragonfly and damselfly visited the pond within its first few months. Rats moved in at some point but with a cage trap and some bacon they went to ........ ~wsltng .
All the turtles (I've gained a few unwanted's including one my brother found dumped in a box at the park) seem to have done well through their first winter, all turtles remained active basking and feeding into late November and eventually stayed under by mid December. The maps remained very active under the water where as the YBS, RES and cooters dug in with the cooters completely out of site whilst the sliders seemed to just shell up anywhere as long as they were away from anyone at the bottom. At the beginning of March the Turtles ( maps, sliders and "florida" cooters) began to bask and a few began to slowly feed after a few days. My river cooter remained out of sight and I was beginning to think i'll have to empty the pond with the possibility that I had lost her but she showed an appearance this morning this late arrival may explain how they get through our crappy springs.

The Raspberry Pi has remained running and uploading temps pretty much since the getgo but sadly I lost out on February's temps because one of the kids nicked my psu to charge their mobile.
https://xively.com/feeds/956250295

I'll get some pond shots up soon.

Scott
Scott

Squirtle

Post by Squirtle » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:31 am

The Pond with the f'ugly net.

The veg filter.

Some of the turts thismorning.

Scott

Julie
Photo Competition

Post by Julie » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:31 pm

That pond is brilliant - you must be well chuffed with your handy work ~trttle
Julie - "mother" of

0.1.0 Eastern? River Cooter - Max
0.1.0 Map - Eleanor Digby

And Photo Competition Controller (although not a very good one) - photo.competition@terrapin-info.co.uk

MikeC

Post by MikeC » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:32 pm

Looks great. Well done.

Hendrix

Post by Hendrix » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:45 pm

I've got serious pond envy!
Well done Sir! ~fn-hdbng

richardb

Post by richardb » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:33 am

Looking really good!

Squirtle

Post by Squirtle » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:04 am

Thanks for the positive comments guys.
The pond is now looking a little bare as yesterday I removed the bamboo as it was starting to take over too much space and filled the void with a soil, sand & compost mix giving them a small area to lay or have a wander. I also removed most of the cress to make room for this years growth.
Scott