move from indoor to outdoor pond

Photos of tanks and ponds that you have, or have seen.
Vaughan

Re: move from indoor to outdoor pond

Post by Vaughan » Fri May 10, 2013 11:08 am

Since adding the turtles into the pond they have not come out to bask and an't eating the way they used too. The stay hidden under the shelter I made out of a ridge tile and some blocks

is this normal when mocving from inside to outside

You can see the roof tile in this picture

Julie
Photo Competition

Post by Julie » Fri May 10, 2013 12:30 pm

Completely normal. It just takes a little while for them to get used to their new home. I over summer mine outside and the first year I hardly saw them. The second year we had to catch them basking and in subsequent years they don't care - plop them in and they are at home instantly ~trttle
Julie - "mother" of

0.1.0 Eastern? River Cooter - Max
0.1.0 Map - Eleanor Digby

And Photo Competition Controller (although not a very good one) - photo.competition@terrapin-info.co.uk

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan » Sat May 11, 2013 1:28 pm

Thanks Julie

I guess I should keep dropping in a little food every couple of days to see how they get on with it

Vaughan

VERY WORRIED

Post by Vaughan » Tue May 14, 2013 7:14 am

I got up this morning to check on the little guys and feed them. I brushed away some of the debrit on the bottom for cleaning later and this guy didn't move at all. I took him out and he hardly moved. other than slighly pulling his legs into his shell. Normally when handles his head would fully retract as well

none of them seem to be eating yet nor have any been onland to bask

water temp has dropped right down to 7.2 C from 13 when I put them in

should I be worried ?

Is there something else I should be doing
Attachments
IMG_1027.JPG
IMG_1027.JPG (128.58 KiB) Viewed 3041 times

Zekee

Post by Zekee » Tue May 14, 2013 7:34 am

Your water temperatures are probably too low, and these animals haven't acclimatised to this. It may of been too cold to put them out yet. With a free standing pond like that there is no insulation from the ground or from any surround so water temperature will probably drops rapidly.

Im not a pond expert but there are folk on here that are. Hopefully they will be along soon.

sdmtate

Post by sdmtate » Tue May 14, 2013 7:40 am

I have to agree with tom,putting turtles out at 13 degrees is still too cold,especially when they wont be used to the cold temps,you should have been looking at minimum 15 degrees and has been said,yoir pond should have some sort of insulation to help the lower water temps. At 7 degrees there nearly at hibernation temps

Steve
0.0.5. mauremys mutica
1.0.0. Trachemys scripta troostii
0.2.0. Trachemys scripta elegans
3.2.0. Trachemys scripta scripta
0.1.0. Pseudemys concinna
0.1.0 Graptemys ouachitensis

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan » Tue May 14, 2013 8:55 am

Tom / Steve

should I put them back indoors or leave them outside to see if things warm up. Problem is it's may already so will it ever warm up enough ?

Vaughan

Romski
Advanced Member

Post by Romski » Tue May 14, 2013 9:22 am

It must be able to walk to the surface and to the basking spot, does the ramp go to the bottom
They do get into some sort of thermal shut down and then cant get to the surface.
Give it a chance to be at the surface with a feeling of security. Maybe some weed cover.

If its not acclimatised bring it in.
Rom

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan » Tue May 14, 2013 9:33 am

Romski wrote:It must be able to walk to the surface and to the basking spot, does the ramp go to the bottom
They do get into some sort of thermal shut down and then cant get to the surface.
Give it a chance to be at the surface with a feeling of security. Maybe some weed cover.

If its not acclimatised bring it in.
Rom
There is a ramp up to the basking area but I think this guy wouldn't have enough energy to walk up it. Is a dock attached to the side of teh pond enough or do you suggest something else

The others are sat on the bottom of the pond and will move if prompted but not the same as they did when they were indoors

JUST HAD ANOTHER THOUGHT - if I put them back indoors should i let them warm up just in the water or put basking lamp back on straight away

Vaughan

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan » Tue May 14, 2013 5:31 pm

OK Back home tonight and pond is back up to 13.3 degrees and everyone is swiming around and moving about

the big question is do i persist with them outside or do I bring them back indoors and hope the weather picks up ?

If I bring them back in do you base your decision to put them back outside on day temp or night temp and if it is night temp what should it be ? ~cnf-dunno

~trttle ~bryy