move from indoor to outdoor pond

Photos of tanks and ponds that you have, or have seen.
Vaughan

move from indoor to outdoor pond

Post by Vaughan » Mon May 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Hi All

problem with flies in the dining room sorted as we put an outdoor pond in the garden

here are some photos after a very busy bank holiday weekend. Only need to add sand to basking area and it should be just about finished.

1000 litre pond with pontec 8000 external filter with mechanical & bio filter for ponds with inhabitants upto 4000litres. 4 x air stones running off a 600l per hour pump and a little fountain

Basking area seperated from pond perimeter so that we can have a few plants that don't end up as food. Will add some plants into the wate once I know whats the most suitable to add

Any tips and advise on things to look out for when making the move to outside would be appreciated

btw outside water temp 13.5 C

Romski
Advanced Member

Re: move from indoor to outdoor pond

Post by Romski » Mon May 06, 2013 11:01 pm

Nice job. Can it bask in the midday sun?

Rom

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan » Tue May 07, 2013 6:09 am

Romski wrote:Nice job. Can it bask in the midday sun?

Rom
Thanks Rom

The last picture shows the ramp onto the sand area which is south facing and gets the sun most of the day (when it does decide to make an appearance) I used the deck from the indoor pond to access it as it floats to match the water height hower it's probably a bit steeper than I would like so I'm looking for a none slip surface to wrap over the top of the pond so that I can fit the deck flush and make it easier to use. I also need a couple of bags of play sand as I used builders sand to fill the gaps between the pebbles but I don't think builders sand would be suitable for basking

Vaughan

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Tue May 07, 2013 8:45 am

Vaughan wrote: Any tips and advise on things to look out for when making the move to outside would be appreciated
Yeah, you can probably rebuild the filter to make it entirely more effective (very cheaply!) as most filters are designed for fish and therefore sadly lacking when it comes to turtle ponds. Other than that the pond looks really good, just need to make sure they can get out on that ramp, and when you put them in try to do it late morning so it will have warmed up a bit, but still give plenty of time for them to settle in, explore, and start basking before it cools down :)
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

MikeC

Post by MikeC » Tue May 07, 2013 9:19 am

Some great ideas here. Well done.

I like the what looks like pipework hidden in the bamboo.

Just one question :-)

Who has air tools in their garden :-) ? I think there are more hobbies here.

Romski
Advanced Member

Post by Romski » Tue May 07, 2013 9:31 am

I have airtools in the garden! Its great for cleaning off the mower and blowing out the filters.
How can you live without one?

Neil I tried to access Huws filter design last week and the pix have gorn.
It was a useful reference and its a shame its not all there. I know Huw is a touch busy but could we revive it or do a definitive build your own filter thread.

I have built many of my own but most of mine are custom for the tanks. I think Huws and your designs are more appropriate for more regular turtle keepers.

Rom

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan » Tue May 07, 2013 1:09 pm

Romski wrote:

I think Huws and your designs are more appropriate for more regular turtle keepers.

Rom
I searched for a thread on building a pump as I read about it a year or so ago but couldn't find it ~cry-wtry so Neil if you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. The filter is 4 stage with the first beng a very open spongue that wouldn't catch anything in my opionion. The second and third are finer sponges and the last is Bio plastic

At the moment the water is very murky as the wife brushed all the mud to one end with the intention of hooverng it out however it simply turned the crystal clear water murky. Never mind that won't happen again. It may need a coagulant to help form particles big enough for the filter to clear them
MikeC wrote:

Who has air tools in their garden :-) ? I think there are more hobbies here.

MikeC
Ha ha Mike too many hobbies. but you can't go wrong with a compressor and a few cheap accessories from Aldi

MikeC

Post by MikeC » Tue May 07, 2013 1:32 pm

Yes, now you mention it. I saw a compressor on offer in Aldi on the web, it crossed my mind ....

richardb

Post by richardb » Tue May 07, 2013 2:50 pm

Nice build!

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Wed May 08, 2013 9:13 am

Romski wrote:Neil I tried to access Huws filter design last week and the pix have gorn.
It was a useful reference and its a shame its not all there. I know Huw is a touch busy but could we revive it or do a definitive build your own filter thread.
Not sure where it's gone, can only assume Huw has shuffled his Photobucket account or something as all pics remain on the site once they're there. Will have a look around and see what I can find when I'm home (rather than in the office at work!).

My air compressor and tools are all inside at the moment until I build my garage ;)
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta