Pond for musks.

Photos of tanks and ponds that you have, or have seen.
terrapin two

Pond for musks.

Post by terrapin two » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:21 pm

This is the pond I plan on using to house musks next spring. It's 6'x3' at the widest and 2ft deep and the deepest. I built the wall and block pillars so the decking is removable. I have stripped and cleaned pallet slats to create shaped stepping to match the form of the pond in the gaps that remain. It was put on hold as I had a bad finger. lol. I have the pump and filter running but only have Duckweed kept in there for my maps and sliders to get fed at the moment which Sharon Smith kindly sorted out for me. I have one Female and another to be collected from Amy James in the new year. As they are relatively small turts I was wondering would I be able to add a pair of hatchlings maybe.

"but I don't wish to be mad" Alice remarked.. "we can't help that" replied the cat, "you're mad, I'm mad, we're all mad here"...
LEWIS CARROLL.

sdmtate

Re: Pond for musks.

Post by sdmtate » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:22 pm

as i said on fb ryan,very nice sized pond,but wouldnt advise putting hatchlings in there in spring to leave in all year round,i think maybe for the spring/summer,then bring them back in for the winter,and then maybe the year after,put them out in the spring to leave them out
0.0.5. mauremys mutica
1.0.0. Trachemys scripta troostii
0.2.0. Trachemys scripta elegans
3.2.0. Trachemys scripta scripta
0.1.0. Pseudemys concinna
0.1.0 Graptemys ouachitensis

terrapin two

Post by terrapin two » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:17 pm

I'm still undecided about leaving them out next winter or not as it's a nerving thought for me. I will stick with more mature turts for my first ones to be introduced to a lengthy time if not all year round in a pond I think.
"but I don't wish to be mad" Alice remarked.. "we can't help that" replied the cat, "you're mad, I'm mad, we're all mad here"...
LEWIS CARROLL.

Julie
Photo Competition

Post by Julie » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:04 am

That's gonna be a fabulous pond - well done ~trttle
Julie - "mother" of

0.1.0 Eastern? River Cooter - Max
0.1.0 Map - Eleanor Digby

And Photo Competition Controller (although not a very good one) - photo.competition@terrapin-info.co.uk

MikeC

Post by MikeC » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:33 am

Is that the loch ness monster in there ?

terrapin two

Post by terrapin two » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:09 pm

MikeC wrote:Is that the loch ness monster in there ?

I found a nessy egg and hatched it. I don't have an incubator so it was a lot of time sitting on it. The proper name for it is a water horse, it's not a monster. ~lgh-smil
LEWIS CARROLL.

terrapin two

Post by terrapin two » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:16 pm

Julie wrote:That's gonna be a fabulous pond - well done ~trttle

Thanks Julie. Gutted it ain't finished before the winter but got some good ideas I want to try on it before I attempt an upscale model.
Had some positive responses, thought it was looking quite boaring myself and expected people to point out how I could get it looking better.
If anyone has any suggestions off the top of their head I wouldn't mind hearing them.
LEWIS CARROLL.

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:32 pm

terrapin two wrote:...thought it was looking quite boaring myself and expected people to point out how I could get it looking better...
What you consider boring, your musks will probably think of as ideal, turtles aren't interested in fancy fluff, they want clean water, bugs to hunt for, and plant cover to hide in ~thmbu
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta