my turtle tank

Photos of tanks and ponds that you have, or have seen.
sdmtate

Re: my turtle tank

Post by sdmtate » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:13 pm

It all looks great,have to agree with mike tho,deeper water would be much better.
Maybe think about above tank basking area to allow more water volume.

Steve
0.0.5. mauremys mutica
1.0.0. Trachemys scripta troostii
0.2.0. Trachemys scripta elegans
3.2.0. Trachemys scripta scripta
0.1.0. Pseudemys concinna
0.1.0 Graptemys ouachitensis

Odonnell89

Post by Odonnell89 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:25 pm

The water Cannit go any higher that's it limit, we're the hang on filter is ment to be wud let water out when I get back from offshore I will take a picture so you can see what I mean there is a part of the background which pop's off.The tank its self is a turtle tank not a fish tank so it is designed just for turtles ~trttle regards steve

Odonnell89

Post by Odonnell89 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:30 pm

Mike what do you think of the fx5 and Steve I got the tank from south shields from the reptile shop at lizard lane it has some cool stuff at that shop.

sdmtate

Post by sdmtate » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:20 pm

if your gonna keep the turts then i think your gonna have to upgrade your tank as it wont be big enough,dont know enough about maps but your YBS will certainly need more room,ideally an indoor or outdoor pond.
i have to agree with reptile shop on lizard lane,been in there a few times myself.

steve
0.0.5. mauremys mutica

Odonnell89

Post by Odonnell89 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:35 pm

I am thinking of upgrading to a pond but need to no if there will be ok over the winter, Steve how is a 4 foot tank too small for 2 turtle just wondering just I thort it would of been ok.
Regards Stevie

sdmtate

Post by sdmtate » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:56 pm

its not the size of the tank you have to go by,its the volume of water.
if you click on the terrapin-info logo top left it will take you to some links,use the calculater there to measure the volume you need for your turts,remember your tank is as full as it goes so you need to measure the length,width and depth of the water in there to compare.

steve
0.0.5. mauremys mutica

MikeC

Post by MikeC » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 am

In response to the fx5. I am pretty sure that is what I have. I think it was not silent when I first had it ( even when all the bubbles had gone :-) ), I am pretty sure it runs quieter now. I hardly touch the filter. I have only looked at it 2 or 3 times in a year or so and both times emptied a small amount of vegetation from the first chamber. On one occassion I added more ceramic media I had found at a decent price.

I can't fault it so far.

With regard to the tank you have it is very good for a set up with that volume of water ( it is tidy to look at and has a built in basking platform and a cover which allows circulation ) but, as you correctly state, cannot have the water level raised.

sdmtate

Post by sdmtate » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:40 pm

i'm not knocking the setup,looks absolutely fantastic.
was only saying that,especially with YBS they prefer much deeper water and more room to swim.

steve
0.0.5. mauremys mutica

V1C1OUSFLOWER

Post by V1C1OUSFLOWER » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:37 pm

I have this tank for my YBS and Map but completely agree with the common sentiment; it looks great but is not practical for keeping large turtles in! I've got my african muds in a 4ft tank and will be upgrading my YBS and Map next week to a 4 ft as Ernie my YBS is growing so rapidly it's just not fair to begrudge him the swimming room when he loves swimming so much!! Eventually they'll both get 6ft tanks when they're bigger, I dont intend on getting any more of the bigger turtles as I'd rather just spoil the ones I have with larger tanks!! I'm planning to build an above tank basking area for them too so they have a deeper water level. I`m getting a couple of common musks next month to put in my Turtle pro tank as I think it will be much more suitable for them. Completely agree that the hang on filter that came with it was shockingly bad quality, not only did it do a crap job at filtering the water, mine didnt seem to sit straight so I had to push the tank right up to the wall to get it to stay upright!! ~ang-bang Such a shame as they're great looking tanks! Mind you, you can get faux rock backgrounds so I guess you could experiment with that on other tanks and recreate the look with better sized tanks. Also, they are very expensive tanks considering they're not practical for bigger turtles, I spent a fraction of the money when I got my second tank for my African Muds.
Claire
x1 YBS
x1 Mississippi Map
x2 African Mud

x2 Common Musks

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:55 am

The hole for the HOB filter can be "repaired" with a disc of perspex and some silicone, and the tank will become too small as your YBS looks like a female and will grow to around 12" shell length, maybe more. The FX5 will really help keep the water clean, but she'll be struggling for swimming space. With the right diet though, this shouldn't be a concern for at least a couple of years, so plenty of time to plan things, and several people are now choosing stylish indoor ponds as room features, which until now isn't something that's been widely done :)
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta