pond complete

Photos of tanks and ponds that you have, or have seen.
Romski
Advanced Member

Re: pond complete

Post by Romski » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:27 am

I dont know how long it took.
It is rain fed so my water chemistry will be different to yours.
I suspect I will have fewer nitrates that come with tap water.

Rom

MikeC

Post by MikeC » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:06 am

My 10p's worth

Algae and green water are an age old problem. The green water should be cured by UV clumping the green cells together which then get extracted by the filter.

Algae of any type is more difficult but, as Rom rightly says, there is more 'fuel' in tap water than rain water and of course turtle waste, or probably more likely, left over food, will provide fuel for your algae to grow.

Approaches I have heard of are;

Shade from plants or a cover over the top - cover over the pond is often used by Koi keepers but obviously no good for turtles. If you use surface plants to shade the water you reduce light in the pond, probably make your turtles happy having somewhere to hide and more crawlies to feed on.

Barley straw which decomposes and produces X which algae does not like - pioneered by horse people :-)

Other chemicals or powders - again used by Koi keepers who usually have bare pools and no hope of achieving a natural balance. Probably to be avoided with turtles, who knows the side affects and who is willing to find out?

I have had a fish pond for years which is topped up with rain water and tap although I hope to use tap a lot less in the future as I have reduced the evaporation considerably. I get a blanket weed bloom every spring as the sun is out and before the trees create shade then the level settles to something very manageable. I always get a nice scarfe of blanket weed growing over and around the air stone :-) I just use a UV and have never felt the need to resort to chemicals.

sdmtate

Post by sdmtate » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:15 pm

Thanks guys,very interesting.
I'm gonna look into getting more plants like duckweed and water lillys maybe.

Steve.
0.0.5. mauremys mutica
1.0.0. Trachemys scripta troostii
0.2.0. Trachemys scripta elegans
3.2.0. Trachemys scripta scripta
0.1.0. Pseudemys concinna
0.1.0 Graptemys ouachitensis