New above basking area

Photos of tanks and ponds that you have, or have seen.
Blakemattyb

New above basking area

Post by Blakemattyb » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:13 pm

Thought i would show my work in progress, a few finishing touches here and there still required. The wood was all free which is always a bonus. The ply wood was in the house when I moved in found behind the wardrobe and the wood for the frame was from my old sofa I demolished far from expecting to find exactly what I wanted inside its ancient frame.

I have have over engineered it I think but rather that than it fall apart. The floor is built into the frame and then the frame was loosely glued in place then screwed to fit (no finesse involved) I then just added the back and rear side. The glass was from a pound shop photo frame and is responsible for the final dimensions I selected (the glass was tested with a hammer tap for strength). The ramp is cork bark fixed like a hinge with cable ties although i may be having to tinker with this as I am not happy with its final assault angle for my turt to climb.

The mesh surround is a vinyl mesh gutter guard I have temp clamped in place until I am aloud to get the hammer and nails etc out again (it is 10pm).

The repti-glo tube is due for renewal and i will either buy a smaller width tube to fit in the gap (ie 15'') or ideally a MVB money permitting as i well aware the angle of it at present isn't the best.

My turts not shy either like, he has already had a look at climbing it and its only been in for ten mins

Any feedback etc welcome.
One male River Cooter

MikeC

Re: New above basking area

Post by MikeC » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:14 am

I assume the mesh is a guard to stop the turtle getting out and not to stop anything getting in. I would have thought this would be one of the easiest things for the turtle to get it's claws into and climb.

Just a thought.

Michael

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:42 am

Looking good so far other than the mesh, which as Mike says makes for a perfect climbing frame, as that's only temporary there shouldn't be a problem :)
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

Blakemattyb

Post by Blakemattyb » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:58 pm

I was planning on keeping the mesh for a long term option and was hoping as the holes are only small that although he could get is claws in that it would be to flimsy for him to get any real purchase to climb further. Also longer term I was thinking of tipping it in at the top like a security fence does to make it harder to climb should his initial assault prove successful. Will be keeping as eye on this as he has already escaped from his tank in the past (not with this present setup).

This is now my near finished article. I have played with the lights a little more and think this set up will do for the time being. I have made little blocks to rest the mesh on and keep it closer to the edge of the tank (until i get to add the angle at the top for the climbing issue). I have drilled a new set of holes to alter the angle of the cork bark as it was slipping under the basking area and making a useless bridge. I also think I may need to develop a better ramp than this as i am still not happy with it. I have been able to add a further 20 litres of water to the set up which is why I wanted to build this so mission achieved with that.

Filter wise I have an ehiem 2215 with lava rock and a fluval 3+ for the surface agitation. I have a nice piece of bog wood in there but I am just looking at it now and I am wondering if it has a purpose as the water level is now higher he cant rest on it like he used to.

One male River Cooter

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:39 pm

Blakemattyb wrote:I was planning on keeping the mesh for a long term option and was hoping as the holes are only small that although he could get is claws in that it would be to flimsy for him to get any real purchase to climb further.
One flaw in that plan which I can see, is the possibility that he drags the mesh off the side and into the water with it caught in his nails, then proceeds to get more tangled trying to escape....I assume you can see where that's heading?
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

Blakemattyb

Post by Blakemattyb » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:01 am

Neil wrote:One flaw in that plan which I can see, is the possibility that he drags the mesh off the side and into the water with it caught in his nails, then proceeds to get more tangled trying to escape....I assume you can see where that's heading?
That is a very valid flaw and something I would like to avoid. Just placed my turt up there and he is chilling under the basking lights. As i say this they have just turned off. He was sitting legs all up, looking around and surveying the area.

I definatley think I will need to look at this mesh idea more or scrap it for the sake of a pound i aint going to force it to work.

Hes just slowly climbing down the ramp now. He seems happy enough with the basking area at least, remains to be seen when he will likely try and climb up himself or if he can. Although we all know turts can be better climbers than we give them credit for, which brings me back to the mesh issue...

I could build it into a frame at a tapered angle thus preventing the flimsy and climbing issue. Although if i were to do that i might as well use perspex to make it look nicer...

Think I need to work on the other half and find some more wood...

The more I look at it the more I know why i said this was a prototype/long term design. No matter when you think you are finshed there is always something more to add.

On a different note since the light source is now focused in the box this has led to rather darkened water. Whats the best thing to brighten it up a little bit. LED under water lights? How much are these? Suggestions please.
One male River Cooter

sdmtate

Post by sdmtate » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:04 am

does the tank have a wooden frame where the mesh fits on?if it does,and you'd like full smooth sides,i can get you some smooth metal plates to use as sides for free if you give me the measurement's....steve
0.0.5. mauremys mutica
1.0.0. Trachemys scripta troostii
0.2.0. Trachemys scripta elegans
3.2.0. Trachemys scripta scripta
0.1.0. Pseudemys concinna
0.1.0 Graptemys ouachitensis

Blakemattyb

Post by Blakemattyb » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:09 am

I would love the idea of something posh though am not quite sure what you mean mate
One male River Cooter

sdmtate

Post by sdmtate » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:26 pm

basically same set up as you have with the mesh,only replacing the mesh with smooth plate,as long as you have something to screw the plates on to,i'll try and get a pic of mine to show you what i mean...steve
0.0.5. mauremys mutica
1.0.0. Trachemys scripta troostii
0.2.0. Trachemys scripta elegans
3.2.0. Trachemys scripta scripta
0.1.0. Pseudemys concinna
0.1.0 Graptemys ouachitensis

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:48 pm

looking good.

The mesh looks a little flimsy though...could you get some metal wire mesh and bend to shape the top of the tank. Something like what you would put on top of a gerbilarium.
Sandra, Cambridge.
0.1.0. YBS (Trachemys scripta scripta) Beth
0.1.0. FRB (Pseudemys nelsoni) Dog