Can I give my terrapin a calcium block for a turtle

Photos of terrapins and turtles that you have, or have seen.
Tinkerbell

Can I give my terrapin a calcium block for a turtle

Post by Tinkerbell » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:34 pm

Hi I'm Hannah and I've just bought another two young terrapins, the thing it i don't think Spike is getting enough calcium because his shell is becoming softer, I don't know whether the two are actually linked but i thought they might be from what I've seen on Google. I wasn't to get him a calcium block but i can only find ones for Turtles is it OK if i just give them a small one of those. There are two other terrapin in the same tank but they're a different breed and don't seem to be having any problems. What should I do?!?!?!?!
Thanks for any help you can give me xxx

Julie
Photo Competition

Re: Can I give my terrapin a calcium block for a turtle

Post by Julie » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi Hannah

What breed of terrapins do you have? It may be basking temperatures or diet also? Have you read through the care sheets on the main home page? Have a read through and see what you think as it is unlikely to be calcium if they are all fed the same ~trttle
Julie - "mother" of

0.1.0 Eastern? River Cooter - Max
0.1.0 Map - Eleanor Digby

And Photo Competition Controller (although not a very good one) - photo.competition@terrapin-info.co.uk

Tinkerbell

Re: Can I give my terrapin a calcium block for a turtle

Post by Tinkerbell » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:31 pm

I have 2 Common Musks-Sternotherus odoratus one 1ish year old and the other is 5+ both are female, a 1ish ?Maps-Graptemys Sp.? pretty sure it's a boy and he's the one that's got the problem. Their diet is the Zoo Med Natural Aquatic Turtle Food Hatching Formula pellets i'm not to sure of their basking temperature but it's above room temp. I did read them but i couldn't find a problem with it as their tank conditions are clean and have a constant flow of filtered water. Thank you for your help! ~trttle