Clemmys guttata

Photos of terrapins and turtles that you have, or have seen.
MikeC

Re: Clemmys guttata

Post by MikeC » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:27 pm

I only use these on the outdoor pond. In that case the UV clumps the single cells that create green water together so they are mechanically removed. For this purpose they really work.

Having said that, my fish are extremely healthy, and tend, in my opinion, to die of organ issues rather that bacterial infection. This is not very often.

Zekee

Post by Zekee » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:48 pm

Thanks for your contribution Mike,

So, in your opinion you dont think it wouldn't be worthwhile investing in such a system?

Tom

MikeC

Post by MikeC » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:40 pm

No, my cryptic post did not mean that.

I strongly believe UV 'clarifiers' work in conjunction with a filter to maintain clear water. This is not what you were referring to originally.

I cannot comment on whether UV 'sterilisers' work for sure but I have no reason to believe they will not. I think they pass the water closer to the UV source than clarifiers to achieve their purpose.

Maybe someone has a theory that things can be 'too sterile' much like my Grandad would maintain that if we were exposed more regularly to minor levels of bacteria and viruses that we would be better at dealing with major problems when they occur.