Musk or Reeves.

Species and sex I.D. questions.
Ruth

Musk or Reeves.

Post by Ruth » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:45 pm

Hello, I have not been active on this forum for a very long time, though I do occasionally drop in for a look.
Can someone please help me to identify this little turtle? I purchased this little guy at the beginning of March as a Reeves turtle. However, I am becoming increasingly convinced that it is in fact a musk. Despite having a basking area I have never ever seen it use it. On hot sunny days I have put him outside so that he can bask in the sun (protected from predators and in partial shade), yet he never comes out from under his rock. He is quite a vicious little thing and once he bites down, he doesn't let go, and it hurts! He has a very short tail, unlike the reeves I have seen online.
I am sure from reading about reeves turtles that this one is doing all the opposite things that I would have expected from a reeves.
I have gone back to the aquarium with these photos and they insist that it is a reeves.
So I am coming to all the hugely experienced keepers on here for your help.
Thank you. Ruth.

Ruth, Mother of 15 tortoises and turtles plus many other furred and feathered pets. Partner Brian, fab pond builder both indoors and out, same for tortoise enclosures and now a fab new aviary.

Romski
Advanced Member

Re: Musk or Reeves.

Post by Romski » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:55 pm

My humble opinion it is a musk.

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:25 pm

I would say this is a 3-stripe mud, but I'm not an expert on muds / musks. My Reeves I had for comparisson (now part of a breeding group at Birmingham Sea Life Centre).

0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

Zekee

Post by Zekee » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:40 am

Sternotherus odoratus - Common musk