New terrapin

Species and sex I.D. questions.
bekmarc

New terrapin

Post by bekmarc » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:18 pm

Hi everyone ~trttle
My hubby and I picked up a second hand tropical fish tank today to go with the other 2 we have and we ended up with a lovely little terrapin with it!!!
We have spent the afternoon googling and trying to work out how to look after him/her and have decided to not keep him with the fish but to get him a friend to share a tank with,however we don't know what breed he is and want to make sure we are doing everything right.
If I attatch a pic could someone help to tell me what he/she is please
Hes a very cute little guy

bekmarc

Re: New terrapin

Post by bekmarc » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:20 pm

Sorry guys am posting on my phone and its not letting me add pics.
Will try again

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi, what sort of "friend" are you thinking as anything you put in with is at best going to be tolerated, or worst is going to be attacked or eaten, terrapins are solitary creatures who will "put up" with company rather than be grateful for it, other than for mating of course, though this can be quite an aggressive event as well. If you check out the ID section of the main site that might help, otherwise if you can't get to a computer to post pics, try sending them to the site e-mail and I'll get them posted ~thmbu
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

Julie
Photo Competition

Post by Julie » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:28 pm

We'd love to see a photo - don't keep us in suspense for too much longer!!! ~trttle
Julie - "mother" of

0.1.0 Eastern? River Cooter - Max
0.1.0 Map - Eleanor Digby

And Photo Competition Controller (although not a very good one) - photo.competition@terrapin-info.co.uk

bekmarc

Post by bekmarc » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:07 pm

Am still trying to get pics to upload!
Anyway after hours of research and looking at pics i think hes a common musk terrapin :-)

Its been a week today since we got Tiny and hes suddenly in the last 24 hours started really moving around his tank more and investigating.I also spotted him basking on his platform under his light for a few minutes earlier but he legged it when he saw me!!

I am totally bowled over by this little guy,i never thougt i would be as ive never had any interest in terrapins before but hey it doesnt take long!
Hes fascinating to watch and the kids love him!!!

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:03 pm

Try Photobucket or similar ~thmbu

If it is a musk (much more likely than a reeves), then they do have a great "character", most of the shallow(er) water species in my experience do tend to have quite a "personality". As per my reeves comment, musks aren't bad swimmers, but they're not great either so deep with climbing / resting places is fine, but a deep bare tank isn't ideal.

bekmarc

Post by bekmarc » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:50 pm

Hi Guys.
The tank has a large gravel bottom with lots of larger random rocks plus climbing plants up to his basking dock which has a scoop on the side which he seems to love sitting on!

He loves the bubble tube that we put in and bounces off of things!
Hes very active again today and loved his new plant i put in for him so fingers crossed all going well now hes settled in finally.

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:43 pm

Sounds great, just make sure there are no small bits of gravel that can be eaten as this can be very bad for them ~thmbu

bekmarc

Post by bekmarc » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:21 pm

Hi.
I've just been sat watching Tiny and noticed hes started digging at the gravel a bit which worries me so what would be the best base to buy?
I've seen sand but not for wet tanks.
Is there a particular make or type anyone could recommend please ~trttle

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:51 pm

Gravel is fine as long as they can't eat it, and they'll naturally dig through it to try find tasty snacks (try live bloodworm), or you could try large river pebbles (avoid the over-priced polished smooth ones) or slate chips. Sand can be a pain to keep clean, but kids play sand does look good and if fine as long as you give it a good wash out first to get rid of the fine silt which would otherwise make the water cloudy for several days until the filter can remove it.