"Wild" Terrapin

Species and sex I.D. questions.
quoasis

"Wild" Terrapin

Post by quoasis » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:42 pm

Apologies for the rubbish photos - it was with my phone. I saw this terrapin "wild" near the Thames in Maidenhead, it was about 9-12 inches long & I was wondering if anyone knew the species? ~cnf-dunno

this is where it turns out to be the most common terrapin in the world, but I have tried google images ~trttle

thanks
Attachments
terrapin0271.JPG
terrapin0271.JPG (9.99 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
terrapin0267.JPG
terrapin0267.JPG (9.94 KiB) Viewed 1981 times

Neil
Administrator

Re: "Wild" Terrapin

Post by Neil » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:24 pm

Not the best photo's as you say, but appears to have a clear "S" on the side of the head making it a yellow belly slider which would fit with size too ~thmbu
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

Hendrix

Re: "Wild" Terrapin

Post by Hendrix » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:09 pm

Hello Quoasis - and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for taking the time to post this - I suspect this is another example of a victim of the turtle pet shop trade.
People are suckered into buying the cute 50p sized hatchlings at the pet shop or garden centre ......................

a few years in and they're landed with an adult beast that can barely turn around in the 2 foot tank the salesman flogged them along with the heater and plaster model of a sunken galleon! ~ang-bang

Another dumped turtle to add to the tally I'm afraid - a common theme that will continue while pet shops continue to make an easy profit from baby sliders