Book recommendations - a sticky?

Anything that doesn't really fit into a specific category.
Turtle Jo
Advanced Member

Book recommendations - a sticky?

Post by Turtle Jo » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:24 pm

Can we have a 'sticky' for a bibliography of essential turtle reading?
Jo
Northamptonshire
Turtles: A few

Neil
Administrator

Re: Book recommendations - a sticky?

Post by Neil » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:28 pm

If someone wants to make such a bibliography, then sure!
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

Turtle Jo
Advanced Member

Post by Turtle Jo » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:58 pm

Ok, I'll start :)

My collection consists of:

Books re care and husbandry:

Turtles and Tortoises : Everything about Selection, Care, Nutrition, Breeding, and Behavior, by Richard D. Bartlett and Patricia P. Bartlett. 1996. Barron's. 119pp. ISBN 0-8120-9712-2

Keeping and Breeding Freshwater Turtles, by Russ Gurley. 2003. Living Art Publishing. 298pp. ISBN 0-9638130-3-X

Baby Turtles, by Russ Gurley. 2003. Living Art Publishing. 58pp. ISBN 0-9638130-4-8

Tortoise Trust Guide to Tortoises and Turtles, Andy C. Highfield. 1994. Carapace Press. 60pp. ISBN 1-873943-01-6

Practical Encyclopedia of Keeping and Breeding Tortoises and Freshwater Turtles, by Andy C. Highfield. 1996 Carapace Press. 295pp. ISBN 873943-11-3

Freshwater turtles and terrapins: a complete guide, by Andrea Luison and Stefano Radaelli. 2008. Testudo Edizioni. 207pp. ISBN 978-88-95662-01-5

Captive Care of North American Water Turtles, by Richard J. Lunsford. 2007. 159pp. ISBN 978-1-4303-2167-5

The Spotted Turtle: North America's Best, by Al Roach. 2006. Living Art Publishing. 70pp. ISBN 0-9638130-5-6

Chelonian Library 4: European Pond Turtle Emys orbicularis, by Manfred Rogner. 2009. Edition Chimaira. 270pp. ISBN 978-389973-604-5

Turtles and Tortoises, by Hartmut Wilke. 1998. Barron's. 127pp. ISBN 0-7641-5117-7

ID and Species accounts:

Turtles & Tortoises of the World, by David Alderton. 1988. Blandford Press. 191pp. ISBN 0-7137-1970-2

Turtles of the World, by Franck Bonin, Bernard Devaux, and Alain Dupré and translated by Peter C. H. Pritchard. 2006. Johns Hopkins University Press. 416pp. ISBN 0-8018-8496-9

Tortoises Terrapins & Turtles of Africa, by Bill Branch. 2008. Struik Publishers. 129pp. ISBN 978-1-77007-463-7

Turtles of the United States and Canada, by Carl H. Ernst, Jeffery E. Lovich, and Roger Barbour. 1994. Smithsonian Institution Press. 578pp. ISBN 1-56098-346-9

Turtles and Tortoises, by Vincenzo Ferri. 2002. Firefly Books Ltd. 255pp. ISBN 1-55209-631-9

Turtles of the World Vol.1 Africa, Europe, and Western Asia, by Holger Vetter. 2002. Chimaira. 96pp. ISBN 3-930612-27-5

Turtles of the World Vol. 2 North America, by Holger Vetter. 2004. Chimaira. 127pp. ISBN 3-930612-57-7

Turtles of the World Vol. 3 Central and South America, by Holger Vetter. 2005. Chimaira. 128pp. ISBN 3-930612-82-8

Turtles of the World Vol. 4 East and South Asia, by Holger Vetter and Peter Paul van DIjk. 2006. Edition Chimaira. 161pp. ISBN 3-930612-84-4
Jo
Northamptonshire

Eversfield
Advanced Member

Post by Eversfield » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:16 pm

Some very good books in that library!!
With your interest in African Side neck Turtles, I should also recommend you get Tortoises, Terrapins & Turtles of Africa by Bill Branch; ISBN 978-12-7707-463-7

Turtle Jo
Advanced Member

Post by Turtle Jo » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:38 pm

it's there on the list :) .. although have to say, I only got hold of a copy very recently...

I want to get a copy of this one too:

Encyclopaedia of Turtles (Hardcover)
by Peter C.H. Pritchard
Publisher: TFH Publications (20 Feb 1980)
ISBN-10: 0876669186
ISBN-13: 978-0876669181

Do you have a copy Paul? Is it very out of date now or still worth having?
Jo
Northamptonshire

Maria
Administrator

Post by Maria » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:21 pm

Great list, I will have to dig out all my books and make a list. One off the top of my head that I found to be very good is "Survivors in Armor: Turtles, Tortoises and Terrapins" by Ronald Orenstein, 2001.
0.1.0 Pseudemys concinna concinna
1.0.0 Trachemys scripta scripta
2.6.0 Malaclemys terrapin terrapin

Eversfield
Advanced Member

Post by Eversfield » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:00 pm

Turtle Jo wrote:it's there on the list :) .. although have to say, I only got hold of a copy very recently...

I want to get a copy of this one too:

Encyclopaedia of Turtles (Hardcover)
by Peter C.H. Pritchard
Publisher: TFH Publications (20 Feb 1980)
ISBN-10: 0876669186
ISBN-13: 978-0876669181

Do you have a copy Paul? Is it very out of date now or still worth having?
Yes, I have a copy and would have to say that it is very out of date. That said, most enthusiasts still want a copy of it!
Sorry, I missed the fact you have already got the Bill Branch book.
Aside a large collection of Live Turtles I suppose I am a bit of a bibliophile, and my Chelonia Book collection is also petty significant. One day, I should catalogue the list and offer guidance on the suitability of the many and various volumes.
Whilst the internet does give acces to huge quantities of information, there is no substitute in my opinion to reading from hard copy, books, magazines and Journals.
The fact that I am involved in finance for the print industry for a living, probably does make me a bit bias though!

Rgds
Paul

ChrisR
Advanced Member

Post by ChrisR » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:29 pm

There are a couple of others that I would add, for instance Archie Carr's book on North American turtles and a particular favourite of mine: 'Turltes and their care' by John Hoke. This last one is long out of print but turns up second-hand on a regular basis for about £5. It was the first 'keeping' book (as opposed to scientific) that uses plastic tubs and paddling pools for turtles. It also has ideas for filtration and a recipe for turtle chow! The only downside is that it is american and his advice for sick turtles is 'return to the wild near where you collected them'!

Oh, and Roach has written a companion book to the spotted turtle one on wood turtles. Very good.

Chris

Eversfield
Advanced Member

Re: Book recommendation: David Carroll's New book

Post by Eversfield » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:30 pm

"The Year of the Turtle" Author, David Carroll, is back with a new t
Posted by: "HerpDigest" asalzberg@nyc.rr.com asalzberg0011375
Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:57 am (PDT)

Following the Water: A Hydromancer' s Notebook
New Book by MacArthur Genius Award winner David M. Caroll,

The author and illustrator off previous herp classics such as "The Year of
the Turtle," "Swampwalker' s Journal", which won the prestigious John
Burroughs Medal, and his autobiography "Self-Portrait with Turtles," In 2006
he was winner of a MacArthur genius Award for his work in natural history.
Specifically those books. .

HERPDIGEST HAS A LIMITED NUMBER OF AUTOGRAPHED COPIES AVAILABLE.

Following the Water: A Hydromancer' s Notebook (Hardcover)

by David M. Carroll, (Author And Illustrator) Houghton Mifflin Harcourt,
2009, 208 pages,

Only $24.00 plus &7.50 for S&H within the U.S.

(If you are overseas -which includes Canada and Mexico-email us for shipping
costs.).

(See below on how to order.)

Synopsis

The writer, naturalist, and artist David Carroll illuminates the ecology and
life histories the tree frogs, hawks, foxes, and the increasingly rare wood
and spotted turtles he has been tracking for decades with the precision and
passion that won him a 2006 MacArthur "genius" award.

Following the Water is the intensely observed chronicle of Carroll's annual
March-to-November wetlands immersion-from the joy of the first turtle
sighting in March to the gorgeously described, vibrant trilling of tree
frogs ("lichen with eyes") in late May to the ancient sense of love and loss
Carroll experiences each autumn when it is time once again to part with open
water.

Illustrated with the author's fine pen-and-ink drawings, Following theWater
is a gorgeous evocation of nature, an utterly unique "admission ticket to a
secret corner of the world" (Bill McKibben).

REVIEW

From Publishers Weekly

In this sensuous nature journal, MacArthur genius award winner Carroll (The
Year of the Turtle) follows the inhabitants of his local New Hampshire
wetlands through a season of turtle life from March thaw, when the turtles
wake from hibernation, to November, when ice puts them back to sleep, along
the way celebrating such personal holy days as the Return of the Red-winged
Blackbird. Wearing camouflage and waders, he meets wildlife on its own
terms. At the sudden appearance of a red doe, he wonders, to have those
senses-would I trade my thinking, dreaming, imagining mind for them for one
full day... would I ever want to come back? He watches a thirsty turtle
hatchling encountering water for the first time: he extends his neck full
length, immerses his head, closes his eyes and drinks for 21 minutes.
Accompanied by Carroll's own exquisite drawings, this poetic recording of
his season of loving observation is subdued by Carroll's dread of habitat
destruction and nostalgia for a boyhood when I entered waters that, if not
alive themselves, were so filled with light and life that my binding with
them was as much metaphysical as physical.

Biography

DAVID M. CARROLL is the author of The Year of the Turtle, Trout Reflections,
Self-Portrait with Turtles, and Swampwalker' s Journal, which won the
prestigious John Burroughs Medal. In 2006 he won a MacArthur "genius" award
for his work as a writer, artist, and naturalist. Carroll has been featured
on Today (where he reached down into swampy water, miraculously pulled up a
turtle he knew, and told her history), in numerous newspapers and magazines,
and in the most popular documentary in the history of New Hampshire public
television. He is an active lecturer and consultant to conservation
institutions throughout New England.

TO ORDER:

1) Send a check to Herpdigest/Allen Salzberg/67- 87 Booth Street -5B/Forest
Hills, NY 11375. Make the check out to Herpdigest.

2) By Paypal - our account is asalzberg@herpdiges t.org

Romski
Advanced Member

Post by Romski » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:03 pm

This adds to Pauls excellent synopsis.

I have recently taken early retirement and one of the treats was a request by my wife to see the Fall in New England. Whilst I know that part of the country quite well my wife had never been there. It happens that a few well known turtle experts live in that neck of the woods which made the idea very attractive. I managed to tie up some of them and over time I will post the odd story and picture as I think it would be useful.
Our leg of the trip first carried us to New Hampshire which has mountains at the top and lovely lakes in the bottom half. It is also the home of One named David Carroll. Let me tell he is the One. David has written 5 books and is an artist by trade. His wife Laurette also paints. A brief description of his books is in order.
David was totally unaware of how well known he is over here in Europe and was surprised with the extent that his books have been read over here.
For the newbies a quick overview.
#1 The Year of the Turtle. His first book takes a diary format and centres around Spotted Turtles and their environment , also covered are a number of other turtle species and indeed masses of bugs, plants and critters. David highlights each subject with pictures narrative and plain old facts. If you are a keeper of New England turtles this book should be on your shelf. It is out of print but is still find-able.
#2 His second book - Trout Reflections which I have not got is in a similar style but dwells upon the Brook Trout.
#3 His third book - Swamp walkers journal takes a slightly different tack and whilst it covers similar subjects in a similar style it is divided into sections covering different aquatic environments; Vernal Pools, The Marsh, The Swamp, The Shrub Swamp, The Pond, The Floodplain and Bogs and Fens.
#4 His fourth book - Self Portrait with Turtles is as the title implies more autobiographical. His writing style remains the same and again loads of information on turtles and water stuff.
#5 His fifth and latest book - Following The Water is about the water environment and turtles, it again takes on an anecdotal form in a similar style as the other books. This book has been nominated for the Booker prize and is at the time of writing in the final four for selection as winner. Not bad for a book about crusties.
Each one of us will find one of these their favourite, for my part his self portrait I enjoyed the most because it shows that the man is as interesting and as charming a character as the spotted turtles he writes about. The other books provide a foundation of information that is not found in other turtle books inasmuch that they give an insight to the life of the animals rather than a clinical dissection of the subject matter. As an adjunct to any technical book on turtles I am finding his first book most useful, it also has some charming colour prints which add to its treasure. However it will be hard to get as it is out of print. All the books are modestly priced and any UK turtle keeper should have at least one on their bookshelf.
David and Laurette have a website for their work products; http://WWW.carrollartgallery.com
I visited with David over two days and came armed with a list of questions many of which were already covered by his books. Luckily David is a patient man and it was not too long before we were deep in side discussions and time went so quickly. Laurette also showed us around their back garden (really a wood) and recounted its whole history (you have to read the book #4).
Over time I will post a thread that ties in my questions with David's answers and also the answers from others I received recently on related subjects. In the meantime I strongly recommend a visit to their site and start thinking Xmas presents.

Rom