Basking Area Problem!

Any questions regarding the health of your terrapin.
Beccaa_hope

Basking Area Problem!

Post by Beccaa_hope » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:12 am

Hello, I’ve owned my stinkpot musk turtle for 3-4 years now, and I’ve had Squirt since 8 months old. It’s never really paid much attention to it’s basking area, usually only used it once in a blue moon and as soon as I would walk in the room it would scurry off into the water. However, lately Squirt has started to use it a lot more and yesterday when I came home on the morning it was sat on it with its front legs spread straight ahead of it, and never moved at me coming in. I checked on Squirt later in the day and it was the exact same. This obviously worried me, so I got it out to check it’s underbelly and shell to see for damage, normally it would have a fit if it was held and start kicking out and trying to snap at you. This time however Squirt barely moved, and when I put it back on it’s basking area it didn’t scurry into the water (like normal). Squirts still eating however it has become VERY fussy and picks and chooses what it will eat. I’m becoming very worried and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or guidance on this matter. Thank you!

Neil
Administrator

Re: Basking Area Problem!

Post by Neil » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:31 pm

Firstly apologies for the delay in replying, the forum has been quiet lately and I've had the living room apart for a few days so no inernet to catch up.

Hi, what is your tank setup like in terms of temps, lid / no lid, lighting (timer?), water quantity, and filtration? Also, what are you offering for food? It may be nothing, but when an animal acts very much out of character, it can be a sign of illness as you suspect. Do you have any gravel or similar in the tank? Do you know if you have male or females? The more information, the better :)
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta