Does my Terrapin have shell rot too??

Any questions regarding the health of your terrapin.
Lilly123

Does my Terrapin have shell rot too??

Post by Lilly123 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:03 pm

Saved my terrapin from the carnival stand just under a year ago, from a plastic box to a large tank with basking area and powerful filter.. he still seems to have produced white spots on his shell, which from trailing the internet I can only assume is shell rot? Not sure if male or female either... would anyone be kind enough to help me? ~trttle thank you
Attachments
IMG_2165.JPG
IMG_2165.JPG (131.67 KiB) Viewed 1434 times

Julie
Photo Competition

Re: Does my Terrapin have shell rot too??

Post by Julie » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:47 am

HI there

That little guy or girl needs some good shell shedding - it looks like the white patches are where the shell is gradually loosening. Providing s/he is basking and eating the correct diet, this will happen in time. The shell does indicate fast growth so you may need to review what you're feeding and when.

It looks too small to sex but a photo showing the tail and front claws may give a good indication.

Keep us updated!!!
Julie - "mother" of

0.1.0 Eastern? River Cooter - Max
0.1.0 Map - Eleanor Digby

And Photo Competition Controller (although not a very good one) - photo.competition@terrapin-info.co.uk

Lilly123

Post by Lilly123 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:28 pm

I live in the canaries so I try and put them out in the sun as much as possible as well as their basking post and lamp.. I have managed to gently scratch a couple of the white bits off but scared I'm going to hurt them... here is a photo of front claws and tails... I have a feeling it's female alothough we named them Sheldon! Sorry if thenphoto isn't too good was the best i could get after it kept telling me my photo files were to large to upload!
Attachments
IMG_2207.JPG
IMG_2207.JPG (126.39 KiB) Viewed 1417 times

Lilly123

Post by Lilly123 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:34 pm

One of my favourite photos of this little guy is this one... when we first brought him home he was no bigger than a normal sized chocolate coin... has never bitten abd when ever you pop your head up to the tank to say hello he always jumps of his basking level to come and say hello.. ~aw-wub
Attachments
IMG_0838.JPG
IMG_0838.JPG (70.14 KiB) Viewed 1417 times

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:28 pm

I was thinking that was an unusual species, but being in the canaries makes more sense! As Julie says it looks like fairly normal shedding, but I am not an expert at all with this species which I believe is a Chinese Golden Thread. I will point an expert to this post and see what their opinion is, but certainly well done on the rescue and the natural daylight over there will be perfect for them, just make sure they have some shade as well so that they don't get too hot.

CARE SHEET
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta