Cloudy Smelly Water

Any questions regarding the health of your terrapin.
kingcol

Cloudy Smelly Water

Post by kingcol » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:56 am

I have had 4 Map Turtles for more than 6 years in a large Tank with a relatively new EHeim 1200T Filter.
Recently, the water is becoming very cloudy and starts to smell after just a few days.
I have always changed the Water and cleaned/changed the Filter media every 2 weeks and things were fine.
In the last 2 months the water becomes cloudy after just 3 days.

My previous Filter was a Tetra Tec, which I never had a problem with, but I now use Eheim and their recommended Media combinations.

Any ideas what could be the problem and if I could change the Filter media to a different combination to stop it happening ?

Maria
Administrator

Re: Cloudy Smelly Water

Post by Maria » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:31 pm

Hi there! What size tank do you have, and do you feed inside it or in a separate container? Do you have a water testing kit? Might be worth checking to see if all your levels are within range.
0.1.0 Pseudemys concinna concinna
1.0.0 Trachemys scripta scripta
2.6.0 Malaclemys terrapin terrapin

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:42 pm

Four adult maps even in a large tank, is likely pushing it for water volume, so the new filter is possibly still settling in, else it's not a big enough version for the job, which one is it? If you're feeding a bit much and the water is a little warm, then this really won't be helping, else you can also swap out the recommended media depending on what it is to improve performance. Don't forget that filters are designed for fish tanks so a little "tinkering" with them is sometimes necessary to get the best out of them in turtle tanks. You shouldn't ever need to change filter media, and cleaning should be gentle and infrequent, it may be that you're causing yourself some of the problems you're having.
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

kingcol

Post by kingcol » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:56 pm

I have a large Tank 4' x 2' x 18" deep with a Basking Sand area.
My Eheim 1200T is set at 23 degrees and I use the recommended Substrates but I know these are for Fish.
If I test the Water and it shows high Ammonia what do I do then ?
My problem is that I have had no problems for over 6 years and now, with the new Filter, the Water gets cloudy and smelly after just 3 days.

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:24 pm

It may be that your new filter is a much faster flow which means the bacterial bloom while the filter cycles (the cloudy water) is happening in the tank rather than the filter, and this will also smell a bit being ammonia. You need to change only a small amount (maybe 20-30 litres) of water each day, and ideally replace with rain water or tap water that's stood overnight as this will help keep the water from becoming too cloudy and smelly, while still allowing the tank to cycle and the filter to establish. At around 340 litres fill, you'd think the tank quite large, but with a new and unestablished filter, it's only about the right size for three 4" turtles and I'd imagine that all four of yours would be at least that size. It's decent enough for swimming space once it's settled in (like your old filter had), but for the moment you're going to have to bear with a certain amount of mess.

Hope that makes sense and helps :)
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta