What is wrong with Tuin's shell?

Any questions regarding the health of your terrapin.
Agata

What is wrong with Tuin's shell?

Post by Agata » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:34 am

I woke up this morning to find a large white spot on Tuin's shell. It was not there yesterday, there was a cute there first. Is it shell rot or did he rip a scale off his back? Please forgive the inaccurate terminology, not sure what you call the bits of she'll they shed every now and again.
His appetite is really good and he's very active too, he basksaid enough I think and the white spot in not soft.
Attachments
IMG-20160720-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20160720-WA0002.jpg (104.81 KiB) Viewed 2243 times

Neil
Administrator

Re: What is wrong with Tuin's shell?

Post by Neil » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:59 pm

Hello and welcome to the site and forum :)

Firstly, you're almost there, it's called a "scute", and it appears that's it's been hiding underlying shell rot, however (and you can give it a sniff to confirm this), it does not appear to be active. What is you tank and basking area like (temps, filtration, size), and what do you feed? Unless he's hiding his tail pretty well, it looks a small tail for a male, how long are the front claws?
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

Agata

Post by Agata » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:38 pm

Not sure about temperatures I'm afraid, water says 27 but not sure about when the lamp is on air temperature in the bass king area. He eats mainly Zoomed Natural Aquatic Turtle food in pellets about every other day. The tank is about 170liters, he has an over tank basking area with a combined uva and uvb bulb. He does spend a lot of his time there, when we're around anyway. The filter is aquarium external filter for tanks of 400ltrs. It's an all pond solutions EF1 (if it means anything to you).
His tail is probably about just over an inch long and front claws about 1/2 inch.

Agata

Post by Agata » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:53 am

This is the best picture I could take of him/her that shows tail and nails...
Is he in pain? I don't think he is based on how he bahaves, but I'm aware that I'm going on holiday for two weeks and he's going to stay at a pet shelter and not sure if they are going to want him with shell rot, can he pass it to others (though he has he's own tank)?
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (42.33 KiB) Viewed 2225 times

Agata

Post by Agata » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:08 am

Hi,

me again, I gave Tuin a good look over last night, and more scutes :) came off, and there are more white bits dotted around :(, I feel aweful, like a negligent parent!! but I did give them a good sniff and they just smell turtle, nothing horrible. If that makes sense, the other thing I've noticed is that the skin around his back legs has gone pink. I don't know how long that has been going on, I tend to leave him alone as I don't want to stress him out by handling him all the time.

What shall I do??? please help me :(...I'm going on holiday tomorrow morning at ridiculous o'clock so I'm in a bit of a panic.

I have realised that I haven't been changing the water often enough, having a 1000lph filter I though I could leave it for longer, but is that the mistake? I'm I going to loose him??

Thank you!!

Agata

Post by Agata » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:15 pm

So...it's all good news. Took Tuin to the vet...the white is scar tissue or better remains of a historical trauma. The vet picked it all off with some effort and below is nice healthy scute...so I'm happy, Tuin is a little grumpy but all is well ~dance ~wink-smile

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:25 pm

Sorry for the delay replying, glad all is looking better. Sounds like the setup is good, but if you can introduce some more vitamin E into his diet (it definitely is a he from that pic ~thmbu) by feeding something like wheatgerm pellets, and some more calcium by floating a cuttlebone in the tank or high calcium / low phosphor plants such as duckweed, this would help. I did say it looked like old shell rot rather than anything fresh so it's great to have that confirmed. The bit of pink might be nothing, or it might be related to the shell issues, just make sure the water is good quality, and perhaps look at your local aquatics shop for acriflavine or similar anti-bacterial fish tank treatment.
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta