Pink Plastron?

Any questions regarding the health of your terrapin.
rhodrigo27

Pink Plastron?

Post by rhodrigo27 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:22 pm

Hi Team,

I have had a little check up on Biff and Chip, I was hoping the more experienced keepers could throw in their pennies worth,

my YBS Biff is showing pink lines on / under her plastron shutes,they are down the central join and then it appears under / through her shutes,

Biff and Chip both seem very happy, are basking well and very active. wondering if I need to add more Calcium to the diet or adapt the diet? currently getting greens (kale, romaine lettace, duck weed) and reptomin pellets 2-3 times per week.

new UV light is on route as I think the old one is now 8 months old or so. basking temp is around 28-30C water temp 18-20C

Thanks in advance guys.

Neil
Administrator

Re: Pink Plastron?

Post by Neil » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:24 pm

What size tank and filter? If you can do a water quality test that would confirm, but it may be falling water quality causing slight issues, doesn't look serious at the moment though. If water quality is all good (you can always expect nitrates to be raised, but don't want them too high), it may just be growth lines, though they appear to be in the wrong places for that to be the case.
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

Maria
Administrator

Re: Pink Plastron?

Post by Maria » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:08 am

Those do look a bit odd, but I agree with Neil, I'm not seeing any cause for concern at this point.
0.1.0 Pseudemys concinna concinna
1.0.0 Trachemys scripta scripta
2.6.0 Malaclemys terrapin terrapin