Swallowed plastic!

Any questions regarding the health of your terrapin.
Vicbikechick

Swallowed plastic!

Post by Vicbikechick » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:52 pm

Hi, please advise! My nephew threw a plastic fish in my ybs tank when I was out the room and I returned just in time to see her swallow the tail :( she is approximately 8 inches, the flexible plastic tail was about 2cm. I am extremely stressed about what damage this may do and don't know what to do about it - I know a vet couldn't operate to remove an intestinal blockage. Very, very stressed out and worried about my girl....any advice appreciated.

Neil
Administrator

Re: Swallowed plastic!

Post by Neil » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:02 pm

Hello and welcome to the site and forum, sorry it's under these conditions...

Unfortunately as you have realised it is unlikely any vet you'll find will be able to operate to remove the plastic, however the plus side is that ybs are pretty resilient and if she's managed to much it then at her size she will probably be able to pass it. Keep an eye on her over the next few days and you'll hopefully see her start to pass bits of plastic.

Best of luck!
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

Vicbikechick

Post by Vicbikechick » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:51 pm

Thanks so much for your reply, I'm just gutted I pretty much knew what your answer would be :( I just don't see how she can possibly pass something so big, and she normally defecates after she's been fed, but she didn't last night. And today she did what can only be described as a cloudy green fart. I'm so scared for her, I don't want her to suffer, be in pain or starve....I don't want to lose her, I'm deeply attached to my girl :( I guess there's nothing else for me to do but wait it out. Could you estimate how long before I could start thinking she's going to be ok? Or is that just how long is a piece of string...?
Thanks again for your time.

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:46 pm

If she's eating and passing something at least then that's a great start, other than that it is unfortunately going to take some time... I've had rescue terrapins poo out gravel weeks after I've taken them in because they'd had it in their tank!
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

Maria
Administrator

Post by Maria » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:03 pm

Hi, any updates on this girl?
0.1.0 Pseudemys concinna concinna
1.0.0 Trachemys scripta scripta
2.6.0 Malaclemys terrapin terrapin

Vicbikechick

Post by Vicbikechick » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:53 pm

Hi yes I'm very happy and relieved to report that she finally passed it at the weekend! After so long I thought there was no chance, and I had to pull some serious ninja moves because - as they do - she immediately turned round to eat what she'd passed...I had to wrestle it out her mouth. But she had her first proper poop since it happened last night so I am one relieved terrapin mama! ~dance
Thanks for the advice and support ~trttle ~trttle :)

Vicbikechick

Post by Vicbikechick » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:56 pm

Also @neil I meant to say, all my animals are rescues too, and when I first took this girl in she was crapping out blue gravel for about the first 2 months id say, so I know what you mean about that! That folk even put the stuff in their tanks astounds me.

Julie
Photo Competition

Post by Julie » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:36 pm

Good news ~dance
Julie - "mother" of

0.1.0 Eastern? River Cooter - Max
0.1.0 Map - Eleanor Digby

And Photo Competition Controller (although not a very good one) - photo.competition@terrapin-info.co.uk