Chinese Reeves shell is peeling. Help?

Any questions regarding the health of your terrapin.
IMV8N

Chinese Reeves shell is peeling. Help?

Post by IMV8N » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:38 pm

My turtle is semi aquatic. She seems very happy. Has a great appetite and a fun personality. When I got her the shell was already like this. I have built my tank to what I read are her particular specifications. I was hoping the peeling would heal. She basks often. Does anyone know what this peeling is and more importantly how to heal? Please see attached photos.

Julie
Photo Competition

Re: Chinese Reeves shell is peeling. Help?

Post by Julie » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:44 am

Hi there, welcome to the forum

While I cannot claim to be an expert, it looks like you've got some normal scute shedding going on there. It is likely that your turtle wasn't previously kept in optimum conditions and is now making up for lost time under the basking lamp. It will be a long process but worth it ~trttle

Do you know her background?
Julie - "mother" of

0.1.0 Eastern? River Cooter - Max
0.1.0 Map - Eleanor Digby

And Photo Competition Controller (although not a very good one) - photo.competition@terrapin-info.co.uk

IMV8N

Post by IMV8N » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:47 pm

Julie wrote:Hi there, welcome to the forum

Do you know her background?
Hello back and thank you very much :)

She belonged to my ex girlfriend who got her when she was in junior high as a gift. The turtle spent about 13+ years in a very small tank with little water, no filtration and no heat lamps. I got the turtle in the breakup and I'm trying to learn as much as I can to make her as comfortable as possible. I really appreciate the feedback. Its been about a year now that I have had her in what I consider the optimal tank setup. I just started getting worried since its been a year and she still has that flaking on the shell.

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:26 pm

Hi, Make sure there is plenty of calcium in the diet, and also vitamin E can help with good shell condition and proper shedding and this can be found in wheatgerm based pellets.
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

Maria
Administrator

Post by Maria » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:08 pm

Hi there and great job trying to do the best thing for your Reeves! Those scutes do look a bit retained and unfortunately it's to be expected after remaining that long in less than ideal conditions. It may take some time, but with a proper diet and lighting they will take care of themselves. I'm not sure what you are feeding, but extra calcium can be provided through cuttlebone (such as the ones for pet birds) and a good quality pellet. If you're going for a wheatgerm-based pellet, there are some good-quality koi pellets available which I know some like to feed. Mazuri is another good pellet.
0.1.0 Pseudemys concinna concinna
1.0.0 Trachemys scripta scripta
2.6.0 Malaclemys terrapin terrapin

IMV8N

Post by IMV8N » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:57 am

Thanks very much for the replies. I sincerely appreciate everyones time. :)