sleeping more than usual

Any questions regarding the health of your terrapin.
davexxsmith

sleeping more than usual

Post by davexxsmith » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:35 pm

Hi

I'm just wondering if my Map turtle sleeping more than usual is anything to be concerned about. Over the last 3 to 4 weeks he seems to regularly sleep on the bottom of the tank usually in a rock cave and i was a little concerned.

The only change to his environment was we upgraded from a 4' to an 8' tank earlier in the year, at that time i changed the basking set up as i used a standard house hold lamp for the heat. I've replaced the light bulb with AC 100W Ceramic Pet Reptile Heat Lamp Bulb as i have it running through a temperature controller so the temp always stays at 30 degrees. I still have a 10W UVB strep light and also put a LED bulb just so it was bright in the enclosure.

He eats ok at 2 x per week. Mainly reptomin and the odd muscle. Water quality is good and weekly 10% water changes.

He is a fully grown male Map turtle but we have no idea of his age as we got him given as a rescue.

Neil
Administrator

Re: sleeping more than usual

Post by Neil » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:54 pm

Sounds like he's doing fine if he's eating well and acting normally other than a bit more sleeping, how old is the UVB tube? You might find he's swimming around a lot when you aren't watching and then fancies a rest, perhaps feed a little less Reptomin and hide the muscles and similar waterproof foods (ie. not Reptomin which quickly turns to mush) so he has to root around for them in a more natural way :)
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

davexxsmith

Post by davexxsmith » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:00 pm

hi Neil

I think the UVB is about 8 months old they don't usually last more than 12 months before i have to replace them. Have you ever used the ceramic heaters for basking areas, they were for reptiles so i presumed they would be ok as a replacement for the heat lamps. I wondered if its age related i guess but as we didn't have him from young we have no real idea how old he is. We have only had him for 3 to 4 years.

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:08 pm

How big was he when you got him? Ceramic heaters are just a waste of time really, they do the job though. They are ideal for nocturnal animals, but for terrapins who will only be basking during the day anyway a simple household incandescent bulb is fine unless you need a secondary heat source in a particularly cold area when using a large tank so that the non-basking air temp doesn't get too low.

davexxsmith

Post by davexxsmith » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi

He was same size as now about 5 to 6 inches. The reason i used a ceramic heater was with the lamps the house temp use to affect the basking temp with up to 5 degrees. Id had problems with his shell previous and i was told the temp should be 30 so i modified it. I have the ceramic one connected to a controller so the temp never changes from the set 30 degrees.

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:54 pm

That's fine, they're certainly not a bad thing, just a little big more than you need in most instances. Shell problems can take a while to heal, or even to appear sometimes, but don't forget that basking temps would normally change throughout the day so don't try to be too precise. He's probably going to be 10 years old at least if he's been fully grown at 5-6" for the last 3-4 years, but beyond that it's nearly impossible to tell unfortunately.