Help, I think my terrapin has shell rot

Any questions regarding the health of your terrapin.
Sabine1984

Help, I think my terrapin has shell rot

Post by Sabine1984 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:08 am

This is Hildebrand, I've only had him for 1 month but I'm unsure if he's getting shell rot or is just shedding. Please help.

Neil
Administrator

Re: Help, I think my terrapin has shell rot

Post by Neil » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:55 pm

Hello and welcome to the site and forum :)

That's just shedding, although it's not ideal shedding as each shell "piece" (called a scute) should really be coming away whole. What is the setup like in terms of temp, filtration, and do you have a lid on the tank? Also, what is the diet like?
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

Sabine1984

Post by Sabine1984 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:07 pm

Thanks ^_^

The water temp is 25c, I have a external filter and a internal filter (I know Both are not needed but I like the extra filtration)

I feed him every other day with pellets, meal worms, bloodworms, he's picky with his veg -_- like a baby lol. Also have a cuttlefish bone in there too.

He basks almost everyday, and the lid is mesh. I have both a UVB light and basking light.

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:12 pm

I'd recommend dropping the water temp 2-3 degrees and reducing feeding, two or three times a week is more than enough at her age / size, then she might eat more veg and it gives her shell more time to develop and grow which should result in better shedding :)
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

Sabine1984

Post by Sabine1984 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:47 pm

Thank you so much! I'll start this right away. You've been a big help, I was getting worried about my poor terra.

I only got him after my sister had anew baby and couldn't care for him. All this is new to me and I been researching but everyone has different views and info, It gets confusing lol. His tank was much smaller and he didn't have a proper dock. I just want the best for him ^^ who knew I would like having terrapins lol.

Thanks Neil!!! :3