Pest Control

Any questions regarding the health of your terrapin.
Jamie

Pest Control

Post by Jamie » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:22 pm

We have pest control coming today because one of our dogs has caught fleas from somewhere. They are going to be spraying all the floors in the house. I asked them about the animals and they said everything will be fine, including the turtle.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Should i cover the tank with a towel? How long for?

Regards,
Jamie.

Turtle Jo
Advanced Member

Re: Pest Control

Post by Turtle Jo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:36 pm

All the flea treatments I am aware of say to cover fish tanks or remove them from the room. I am not sure how or if the chemicals would affect turtles but to be on the safe side I would remove the turtle from the tank, and put it in a box somewhere dark and warm where it won't come into contact with the chemicals. I'd cover the tank whilst the treatment is taking place and leave it covered until you are allowed to 'air' the room (open windows etc). I think it would be safe then to return the turtle to the tank.
Jo
Northamptonshire
Turtles: A few

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:31 pm

Thanks for the advice Jo! I moved the musk into the spare tank i have setup for the chinese softie i have coming, which is at the other end of the house, in a room not being sprayed. Then covered the tank in my room with a towel.

I have no idea where my common sense went on this one ~wsltng
0.0.1 Razorback Musk (sternotherus carinatus)
0.0.1 Chinese Softshell (pelodiscus sinensis)

Turtle Jo
Advanced Member

Post by Turtle Jo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:38 pm

Common sense goes out the window sometimes, when we worry about your animals... it often takes talking it through with others to help make sense of it and sort out what it is that needs to be done... As they say, a problem shared...!
Jo
Northamptonshire

ChrisR
Advanced Member

Post by ChrisR » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:14 am

I would change the water in all the tanks after the treatment. It is usual to treat all rooms for fleas - they lay their eggs in the carpets. I have seen some really bad infestations. One common source is birds nesting in the roof space. Feral pigeons are the third most common cause of flea infestation after cats and dogs (in that order). If you take your dogs walking in the country (which dog owner doesn't) then the fleas use long grass, carpet is a useful substitute!

Chris

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:23 am

ChrisR wrote:I would change the water in all the tanks after the treatment. It is usual to treat all rooms for fleas - they lay their eggs in the carpets. I have seen some really bad infestations. One common source is birds nesting in the roof space. Feral pigeons are the third most common cause of flea infestation after cats and dogs (in that order). If you take your dogs walking in the country (which dog owner doesn't) then the fleas use long grass, carpet is a useful substitute!

Chris
Ok thanks for advice, i will get the water changed ASAP. We live in the country, isolated, with 3 other cottages, surrounded by woods. We have pigeons that rest on our chimney, and we take our dogs for walks every day in the fields surrounding us. One of our neighbours says that we most likely got them from the squirrels, we have so many here. So from your post Chris, i would say theres a huge chance that we will be seeing the fleas again in the future. Unfortunately :(
0.0.1 Razorback Musk (sternotherus carinatus)
0.0.1 Chinese Softshell (pelodiscus sinensis)

Turtle Jo
Advanced Member

Post by Turtle Jo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:10 pm

A hazard of dog and cat ownership and centrally heated houses - unavoidable :(
Jo
Northamptonshire

ChrisR
Advanced Member

Post by ChrisR » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:15 pm

Fleas, in common with most ectoparasites, have a surprisingly sophisticated life cycle, with the ability to lie dormant for long periods. Quite a number are species specific (hedgehogs have huge fleas that do not appear tp attack other species) but many are opportunists (mm, tasty human!). I wont clog up the forum with all this, but do check out flea life cycles on the internet. Parasites are something else!

Chris

kaira22

Post by kaira22 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:12 am

Hello,

I am new to the forum and I am looking for pest control services in Sydney, Australia.

So please suggest me some professional pest control services as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.