European Pond Turtles Swollen Eye

Any questions regarding the health of your terrapin.
Tog

European Pond Turtles Swollen Eye

Post by Tog » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:18 pm

Hi everybody

I'm new here.....

I have three Emys Orbicularis living in a greenhouse.

Two have emerged from the winter with slightly swollen eyes.

Not too bad, no pus, no blood, but I'm wondering if after getting back into a good feeding and basking pattern this will improve?
~cnf-dunno

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Neil
Administrator

Re: European Pond Turtles Swollen Eye

Post by Neil » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:20 pm

Hi, has the water been filtered over winter? Any plants in the water? Might be a simple water quality issue that will quickly sort itself out, or might be an indication of something else. Any other signs of illness at all?
0.1.0 - Chelydra serpentina
*.*.* - Graptemys ouachitensis
*.*.* - Pseudemys concinna
*.*.* - Pseudemys nelsoni
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta elegans
*.*.* - Trachemys scripta scripta

Tog

Post by Tog » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:05 pm

Hi

Thanks and yes the water is filtered and lots of floating and submerged plants.......cabomba, duckweed, water soldiers and a very large papyrus that hardly dies back.

My theory is that the mild winter hasn't helped. They were last fed in November, yet I suspect they have been active ever since (I recall seeing one basking on a log on the 9 December in the winter sunshine) as its just not been cold enough to send them into "hibernation", so they are very low on reserves.
Would that make any logic?
They took a little raw Salmon dusted with cuttlefish on Sunday just past but have refused two other offerings this week.Water temperature is 12°.

Maybe a good water change would help. Plus Rom suggested some optrex and allowing them to bask followed by a good diet to hopefully get them round.

Thank you for messaging me back......my Emys are very dear to me! ~trttle

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:31 pm

Rom's definitely the man to speak to, will have to call him for a chat at some point, been too long since I spoke to quite a few people actually!

As you say, 12C is that annoying temperature where they're active enough to use energy, it's warm enough for bugs / fungus / etc... to be active, but not warm enough for them to want to eat or have their immune systems running efficiently. It's possible that the (relatively) sudden addition of waste after they fed has seen a spike in ammonia that is causing an issue where it normally wouldn't. The ideal solution might be supplimentary heating / lighting, or bringing indoors if possible, however if it's not looking too bad and there are no other signs of illness then "watch and wait" would be a sensible starting point.

Tog

Post by Tog » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:16 am

Again thanks for the message and content.

I will take some time to monitor and offer food once a week. Noticeably they all took the initial feed, yet nothing since.......I guess they know what they want, a small meal after months of nothing yet too cold for anything more. Nature really is smart.

I'm sure the weather and associated temps are somewhere at play. Even thinking about the birds and amphibians in my garden, last year (15/16) the number of bird species feeding was way beyond what is came in this winter just gone/going. I see black caps and Bullfinches but they are taking natural food not the stuff I put out. And I have observed three newts and have a pond full of frogspawn that has been there nearly three weeks!

Are cold winters followed by an early spring better for "hibernating" turtles? I'm not sure but if they havnt hibernated well or at all, then the energy they have used from their reserves has to be low by now.

Roll on the Summer....... ~aw-flwr ~aw-flwr ~toitle

Thanks again

Neil
Administrator

Post by Neil » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:32 pm

Any progress?

Ideal for any hibernating animal is just proper seasons, which is the problem with this country most the time - the weather is too changeable! Sunny and warm followed by a frost the following week is no better for hibernating animals than it is for the first flowers...

Tog

Post by Tog » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:26 am

Hi

Apologies for the delay in updating ...... I have been away.

Some good news, firstly one of the affected Emys seemed to heal itself. I feed out of the water and after a few feeds of raw Salmon and earth worms and woodlice, I noticed this animal basking more. And upon inspection its eye cleared up nicely.

Up until yesterday I hadn't seen much of the other Emys that was suffering, so located him/her for a feed and inspection. The eye was completely closed and swollen still. So I dry docked in a tub under the heat lamp for about hour and a half. This produced a miraculous change. When I returned the swelling had gone and the eye looked normal.....really was a stunning change in such a short time. This animal had taken some salmon just prior but was distracted from feeding avidly by scraping at its eye.

The shell was nice and dry too and I think this was its first time out of the water for months. The combination of natural sunshine and the lamp seemed to have worked a wonder.

I am relieved and want to say thanks to you and Rom for advice.

~wink-smile

Julie
Photo Competition

Post by Julie » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:58 pm

~clpclp ~clpclp ~clpclp - great news
Julie - "mother" of

0.1.0 Eastern? River Cooter - Max
0.1.0 Map - Eleanor Digby

And Photo Competition Controller (although not a very good one) - photo.competition@terrapin-info.co.uk

Tog

Post by Tog » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:06 pm

Thanks Julie

I located the "previously" worst affected Emys today, hanging just under the flow of the filter outlet. Three earthworms were gobbled down under water. Everyone was sunbathing later ~fn-hdbng
Northampton was hot and still this afternoon.

All outdoors turtles and my Emys orbicularis Hellenic deserves this... warm and sunny ....save me a space on the log ...roll on that inevitable summer! ~cheeer ~cheeer ~cheeer ~cheeer